What if?

Old 01-11-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

What if?

Now with a drinking history behind me spanning about thirty years during which time I faced a lot of adversity, not always directly attributable to my drinking and with nigh on ten years of sobriety. Which, in fairness hasn't always gone smoothly,behind me and recognising the fact that whilst I may not yet be old enough to be wise, I am old enough to be philosophical...

I find myself reflecting on all these events, it's alright to look back, but you mustn't stare, right!

What if, putting aside power, wealth or status, recovery can only offer you the opportunity, a day at a time, to try to be, to the best of your ability, wise, temperate (self control) , courageous (in your dealings not only with others but yourself) and just. Qualities that are known by some as the Stoic virtues...

What if, after years of, like many others I'm sure, living in my 'alcohell' and now living in what some might refer to as the 'sunlit uplands', I think it was Churchill who said that but I'll stand corrected...that's all there is?

What if, each and every day, you can wake up not just 'safe, sane and sober' but knowing where you've slept and with whom? I've never been that lucky, but hey! Never say never, right! But with the dignity to pursue , unencumbered by 'King Alcohol' and is destructive realm, those simple virtues?

Would I have it? Of course I would! Be a fool not to, but no one said recovery was easy, we're all only human after all and for me, not perfect, just trying to make spiritual progress I'll take virtues above any of the dubious attractions and pleasures the world has to offer every time.

You can't buy or fake strength of character, virtue or personal dignity, you can wealth, power and status and for me at least, recovery is all about quality. Like life itself, it's not about how long you live but how nobly you live, ask the ancient Stoic philosophers...if you don't believe me.