True Friends

Old 06-23-2006, 04:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

True Friends

You are reading from the book Today's Gift
Real friends are those who, when you've made a fool of yourself, don't feel that you've done a permanent job.
--Erwin T. Randall

What kind of friends do we have? Are they people who complain a lot? Are they people who laugh at us or put others down?

The kind of people we want to be will decide what kind of friends we have. If we want to feel sorry for ourselves, we will choose friends who will tell us how rotten their lives are. If we want to think we're better than others, we will hang around people who laugh at others' mistakes.

But if we want to be the best we can be, we will pick friends who see the good in life, people who will encourage us to be ourselves and who will help us try harder at things that are difficult for us.
How can I be a better friend today?
Old 06-23-2006, 04:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I have had friends who have been my friends for over 25 years, they are like sisters to me and no matter what happens in our lives, we are always there for each other. For these I am forever grateful.

I have had friendships that just went their separate ways as life took us on different paths. For these I am grateful because our paths crossing made a difference in my life.

And I have had friendships that didn't last because there was no substance, no honesty, no trust and they sometimes were simply mistakes that brought me valuable lessons, so for them I am also grateful.

Today I still value my old and new friendships, as treasures that allow me to share myself just as they share themselves with me. Today my friends and I share a mutual respect in all things, and I know that to have a friend I must also be a friend and give as much as I expect to get back.

Hugs,
Old 06-23-2006, 05:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Ann,

Thanks for posting this...I too have friendships that go back 30 years, they are my foundation, and I am theirs.

I have learned...It only takes a miniute to make an enemy, it takes a lifetime to make and keep a friend, it takes work, it takes respect, it takes caring.

I am blessed, I have many friends and I am proud to be their friend.

Dolly
Old 06-23-2006, 05:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I choose friends - I choose people I admire and it's meant that I've ended up with a great deal of admiration for my friends.

I simply couldn't and wouldn't be who I am without their influence, they have touched my life deeply, long term ones and short term ones. My oldest friendship is coming up to 25yrs - they have flown by, through all our growing up mistakes, the friendship has shouldered so much through the years and persistantly grown in strength. And she's such a damned ace best mate!!