Book club - does anyone fancy the idea?

Old 05-22-2006, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Book club - does anyone fancy the idea?

All kinds of books filled with all kinds of stuff!! Ever wished someone else had read the same one?

I know down in F&F the book 'Who moved my cheese?' was a real hit - I read it too and it was ace to chat about it.

Maybe we could include net articals?

Anyway - it's an idea, what do you think?
Old 05-26-2006, 09:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

You got lost Eq...I fancy the idea!
Old 05-26-2006, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I figured getting lost answered the question!!

Well that makes 2 - any more?
Old 05-26-2006, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I think that this is a good idea. Reading was something that I really enjoyed before alsohol took up so much of my free time.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Im in...
Old 05-26-2006, 05:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am a voracious reader. Count me in, too!

How do we decide on a book?

Old 05-27-2006, 12:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm not sure...

Should they be inspirational or just entertaining or both?
Old 05-28-2006, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, we could look at award winning books. I checked on Amazon and there are a lot of different categories. Perhaps we want to pick something recent?

Or, here is a fabulous book from a little while ago. It is called The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy.

From Publishers Weekly
With sensuous prose, a dreamlike style infused with breathtakingly beautiful images and keen insight into human nature, Roy's debut novel charts fresh territory in the genre of magical, prismatic literature. Set in Kerala, India, during the late 1960s when Communism rattled the age-old caste system, the story begins with the funeral of young Sophie Mol, the cousin of the novel's protagonists, Rahel and her fraternal twin brother, Estha. In a circuitous and suspenseful narrative, Roy reveals the family tensions that led to the twins' behavior on the fateful night that Sophie drowned. Beneath the drama of a family tragedy lies a background of local politics, social taboos and the tide of history?all of which come together in a slip of fate, after which a family is irreparably shattered. Roy captures the children's candid observations but clouded understanding of adults' complex emotional lives. Rahel notices that "at times like these, only the Small Things are ever said. The Big Things lurk unsaid inside." Plangent with a sad wisdom, the children's view is never oversimplified, and the adult characters reveal their frailties?and in one case, a repulsively evil power?in subtle and complex ways. While Roy's powers of description are formidable, she sometimes succumbs to overwriting, forcing every minute detail to symbolize something bigger, and the pace of the story slows. But these lapses are few, and her powers coalesce magnificently in the book's second half. Roy's clarity of vision is remarkable, her voice original, her story beautifully constructed and masterfully told. First serial to Granta; foreign rights sold in France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Estonia, Holland, India, Greece, Canada and the U.K.
Copyright 1998 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

YAY!!!

That sounds great!! I LOVE international books becaus I think so much of culture comes out in a story. I love Asia too...

Anyone else for God of Small things?