Elder's Meditation - May 12

Old 05-12-2006, 05:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Elder's Meditation - May 12

"All the stones that are around here, each one has a language of its own. Even the earth has a song."
---- Wallace Black Elk, LAKOTA

To believe that every tree, plant and insect can talk takes an open mind. Go by yourself into nature and sit quietly. Then pick up a rock and listen to your thoughts. After a while, put that rock down and pick up another rock. Your thoughts will change. These are the voices and wisdom of the Stone People. Each one has different wisdom and they are willing to share their wisdom with you. Many of the Stone People are very old and very wise.
Great Spirit, let every rock and leaf be my teacher.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

As silly as that may sound, I know that for me, surrounding myself with nature, being still and taking quiet time to listen, takes my thoughts to a peaceful place, a place I cannot find anywhere else.

Try it, you'll see what I mean.

Hugs,
Old 05-14-2006, 12:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ann, why is that silly? I don't think it is silly at all. While I don't slow down often enough to read your posts, they are very insightful as are many of the teachings of the Elders.

When my father committed suicide last year, the only place I could thing of to go with my suffering and loss was out to the twin falls. I walked down to the stream, crossed into the middle of the various streams and made my way up towards the roaring of the falls and there I sat and let it all come out... it was like the mists of the falls washed away the hurt and sorrow that I felt. I was openly able to cry and let it go where before that moment I could not.

Unfortunately in modern society we are so disjointed from nature that we lose that connection which is so fundamental to all of us. Mother nature was, after all, the womb for us all, why do we now run from her to jungles of concrete and steel filled with electronic and mechanical noises... we have lost the ability to connect with the humm of mother nature and the healing she offers us.

I know now that I am living in the mountains again, I am taking time this summer to sit on the river bank and listen to her, to feel the air and listen to its song, to hear and observe the forest as it lives and breathes.

Levi.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Seeking Inner Peace

That's not silly, I can relate very well to what you're saying.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Leviathon, your post reminds me so much of when my mother died. She was 90 and it was her time, and she was a wonderful woman who filled my life with love, but I still had such a hard time accepting her death.

I was at a friends cottage, and I took their canoe out to an island just off shore, and sat there in the peace and talked to my mother. I told her all the thoughts I had, thanked her for being one of the most wonderful women I had ever known, and through tears I said goodbye. I know she heard me.

Places of natural beauty, for me, are places where I connect best with the universe and all that is. It is there that I can remove myself from all the distractions in my life and just "be".

I'm so glad that others share this connection with me.

Hugs,