Elder's Meditation - March 23

Old 03-23-2006, 03:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Elder's Meditation - March 23

"We must relearn how to cry. A strong man cries; it is the weak man who holds back his tears."
--Archie Fire Lame Deer, LAKOTA

Indian men and other men should really meditate on this Elder's saying. So many men have been taught it is unmanly to cry, to show emotions or to feel. When people cry, the Elders say there are two types of tears – one type will taste salty; the other type will taste sweet. One is caused by pain, and the other is caused by the release from the pain, or joy tears. A strong man knows himself and knows his relationship with the Great Spirit. The release of tears is a spiritual act. Our bodies are designed to cry. We should honor our bodies and use them as the Creator intended.

Great Spirit, Grandfather, today, teach me to cry.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In the village D grew up in it seems acceptable for a bloke to have a breakdown, attempt suicide, end up hospitalised - they talk empathetically about people where that has been the case.

But the men don't talk about their emotion, they don't cry - the quarrymen and the folk that work with the stone talk about anything but.

I don't think it's weak that D doesn't cry (unless I do!!), I think it's sad, I think it's hard, I think it's lonely. I want with all my heart for it o be ok, but so many generations have said it isn't, it's a culture deeply engrained.

Maybe tomorrow...