God and the Spider

Old 03-03-2006, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doug

God and the Spider

During World War II, a US marine was separated from his unit on a Pacific island. The fighting had been intense, and in the smoke and the crossfire he had lost touch with his comrades.

Alone in the jungle, he could hear enemy soldiers coming in his direction. Scrambling for cover, he found his way up a high ridge to several small caves in the rock. Quickly he crawled inside one of the caves. Although safe for the moment, he realized that once the enemy soldiers looking for him swept up the ridge, they would quickly search all the caves and he would be killed.

As he waited, he prayed, "Lord, if it be your will, please protect me. Whatever your will though, I love you and trust you. Amen."

After praying, he lay quietly listening to the enemy begin to draw close. He thought, "Well, I guess the Lord isn't going to help me out of this one." Then he saw a spider begin to build a web over the front of his cave.

As he watched, listening to the enemy searching for him all the while, the spider layered strand after strand of web across the opening of the cave.

"Hah, he thought. "What I need is a brick wall and what the Lord has sent me is a spider web. God does have a sense of humor."

As the enemy drew closer he watched from the darkness of his hideout and could see them searching one cave after another. As they came to his, he got ready to make his last stand. To his amazement, however, after glancing in the direction of his cave, they moved on. Suddenly, he realized that with the spider web over the entrance, his cave looked as if no one had entered for quite a while.

"Lord, forgive me," prayed the young man. "I had forgotten that in you a spider's web is stronger than a brick wall."

We all face times of great trouble. When we do, it is so easy to forget what God can work in our lives, sometimes in the most surprising ways. And remember with God, a mere spider's web becomes a brick wall of protection.

Author unknown

Old 03-03-2006, 03:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

That's a beautiful story, Doug, thank you for reminding me that God's answers are always better than my own, and to trust that.

Hugs,
Ann
Old 03-03-2006, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
On a tear

Even when right, my answers touch only one person, and only for a short time. God fixes things so they last a long time and encompass more people than I even know ... Of all the things I've gotten from Alanon, discovering this has been the best.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I bite.

Powerful story and something to keep in mind.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

I like this story, Doug...
...thanks for sharing it.

L'Chaim!
(To Life!)
Old 03-05-2006, 08:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Victory is mine!

Thank you Doug, it is always good for me to be reminded what great things God can do with even the smallest things.

Scott
Old 03-15-2006, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, Doug,

I could never have worded it like that, but God has built many spider webs for me!

Steve