Bringing Others Along

Old 02-27-2006, 04:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Bringing Others Along

If your wish to change the world is only for your own sake, your success in doing so will be severely limited. Yet when it is also for the sake of the world, success is far more possible and likely.

If your wish to change someone else's thinking is merely to prove that you are right, you will rarely succeed. Yet when your desire to change another's thinking is for the uplifting and enlightenment of that person, your chances are vastly improved.

When you are looking out only for yourself and your own interests, the world will be a harsh and lonely place. Invest yourself in the well being of others, and suddenly life becomes much more rich and fulfilling.

When your goals ruthlessly clash with the goals of those around you, the going will be difficult and nearly impossible. Yet when your objectives take into consideration the other people in your life and in your community, you're much more likely to accomplish them.

There is nothing to be gained by thinking and acting only in your own self interest. For whatever short-term gains you may manage will be overshadowed by your lack of positive connection to those around you.

The most powerful way to advance your own interests is to refine and align them with the interests of others. The surest route to real success is by bringing others along.

-- Ralph Marston
Old 02-27-2006, 04:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

This reading could be tricky for a codie like me to understand, I had to read it a couple of time to find a healthy meaning there, and I knew it was there someplace. I think I found it, as it applies to me anyway.

I remember my first meeting ever. People welcomed me the moment I walked in and even though I was unable to speak and mostly sat and cried at my first couple of meetings, they understood, even without words, and passed me the tissues and gave me hugs.

But what I remember most is noticing that they all had "something", I didn't know what it was, but these people shared about the destruction in their lives calmly and peacefully and talked about what they "had" today, not things but spiritually. It was peace, dare I say Happiness, and today I know it as serenity. And I knew I wanted it too.

They could have handed me the 12 Steps and said "Do this, do that, and just do what we do and see how it works for you." But they didn't, they just showed me, by example, the many gifts of these programs and let me know that those gifts were available to me when I was ready and if I wanted them. You bet I did.

Sharing what works for me is more constructive in passing the message than telling someone what to do could ever be.

Invest yourself in the well being of others, and suddenly life becomes much more rich and fulfilling.
They say we can't keep it unless we give it away, and I have found that the true gift is in the giving.

Hugs
Ann
Old 02-27-2006, 05:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm of the belief we do all influence each other - it's one way in which I don't find 12 steps to be the right answer for me.
If your wish to change someone else's thinking is merely to prove that you are right, you will rarely succeed. Yet when your desire to change another's thinking is for the uplifting and enlightenment of that person, your chances are vastly improved.
This is very strong for me but not as a means to influence, rather as an understanding of just how much we need to be aware of our own motives. Strong words my friend taught me are when our heart and mouth speak one language not two like a politician!! If I have a hidden motive then anything I say becomes weak, but when I've thought long enough to speak from the heart the words have meaning - it gives honour to whoever is spoken to and I think that's why it makes a difference. When someone talks to me, not hurrying but thinking carefully and knowing what's in their heart I feel honoured and take notice.

The most powerful way to advance your own interests is to refine and align them with the interests of others. The surest route to real success is by bringing others along.
We're not independant of each other - that was a lie the West sold me, I saw something different 1000's of miles away, something that made absolute sense. Hurting someone I get hurt, dehumanise and I lose my humanity, help and I'm helped - it is impossible for me to be independant, all I have was taught me, all I am that I don't offer is worthless.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by equus
Hurting someone I get hurt, dehumanise and I lose my humanity, help and I'm helped - it is impossible for me to be independant, all I have was taught me, all I am that I don't offer is worthless.
Good words and thoughts, Equus, and regardless of where we live, what program we use or do not use, they stand true just as they are spoken.

Hugs
Ann
Old 02-27-2006, 09:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
doing the inside job

some'in like that.

We never live alone or can accomplish anything alone to begin with,
especailly recovery.

Just think of the process and how many peaple was involve
just to...Mmmmm bring your PC or your cell phone to life.

Millions died for it. The raw mineral such as tantilum , use to make
capsitor. There's 50-100's of them for any given electronic PCB assembly.
Tantilum come out of africa. Mmmmm... you know what gose on in africa
and what the money from the sales of these mineral are being use for??
NONE OF US ARE INNOCENT. Directly or in directly.
So what are you gonna do ??? Trun off the lights ????
Throw out all electronics in your house hold and life. It's at all levels
of our lives. Even products that don't have electronics in them. The
equipments producing those products have electronics in them.
At the very least... we should at least be greatful for our lives.
Whatever challenges,goals, dreams we obtain makes it all worth even
more.

So when you think about it...For us to destroy our lives purposely
or kill ourselves slowly by using drugs and what not.
That's total insanity or a really, really ungreatful a Hummm..Hmmm.Hmmm

Oki doki...just the process to have milk in your frigg.