Why and How

Old 02-19-2006, 02:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Why and How

You are reading from the book Touchstones.

He who has a why to live can bear with almost any how.
--Friedrich Nietzsche

Our sense of purpose in life is not fixed in concrete. It changes from youth through all the stages of life. Often in the transitions to a new growth stage we are most confused. In the chaotic life created by our own addictive or codependent thinking, all meaning collapses around us. At these times we wonder, "What is the point?" "Does anything really matter?"

We receive a why for our existence by participating in the whole of this world. We are sons, or fathers, or husbands, or brothers, or friends to very specific people - and to the rest of our community, extending to all of creation. Our sense of purpose may change when life circumstances change. We get married, for instance, and then say, "Now what?" Or a child is born, or a parent dies, or we become disabled. Each time we may be confronted again with the questions. Being open to contact with our world, keeping our barriers down so we stay in touch, restores our awareness of purpose.

May I continue to respond to the changing phases in life - and be open to the renewal of purpose, which is here for me.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oooooo... A thinky, something to ponder on in quiet moments!

It'd be good to maybe have a 'why' for each day - to settle on it before all the hows show up!
Old 02-20-2006, 09:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I bite.

"Renewal of purpose".... I like that phrase.