Self-Pity

Old 02-17-2006, 07:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Five
Bill Wilson is someone who has been interpretated in many, many different ways.
In that case perhaps best not to add to it....
Old 02-17-2006, 07:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by equus
In that case perhaps best not to add to it....
Eq - you dont know how meaningful that is to me.

I wish you could see my face as to how spot on you are. I am through with Mr Wilson. If I ignore him he goes away...
Old 02-17-2006, 07:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Five
Eq - you dont know how meaningful that is to me.

I wish you could see my face as to how spot on you are. I am through with Mr Wilson. If I ignore him he goes away...
I think perhaps that will really be true when you do it peacefully without feeling anger.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

No doubt, I am still angry for sure. It will take time.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

An old man once told me and D a story - something of a wedding present, he asked us to listen and we did.

He said years ago he'd been a sailor and shared a bunk with an artist. He said the artist drew all their pin-ups in charcoal, beautiful pictures. He watched him draw every night and was so amazed by the skill that he thought he might like to try - he asked if he could borrow the pad and charcoal and his friend said he could as long as he showed him what he drew.

Matt used to like drawing at school and gave it his best attempt but got frutsrated. When his cabin mate returned seeing his things had been used he asked to see the drawing. Matt said he was ashamed, but his mate held him to the deal. Matt showed him the results and pointed out everything he hated.

His friend did the opposite and pointed out all that he could see that was good. Afterwards he told him 'Any idiot can see the wrong things but it takes intelligence to see what is good and use it.'

Matt finished his story and said by way of an explaination that he liked a certain song - one witha line that says 'I want a love that grows and grows, not a love that comes and goes'.

BW was just a man, human, sometimes hurting, sometimes right, sometimes wrong but he had the courage to show his work without that we wouldn't have had the chance for this discussion.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Ann has really pointed me to reading many things from Ralph Marston. Thanks Ann.

I like this one.
SELF-PITY

You're feeling sorry for yourself. Why is that? What will it get you? Mainly what it will do is aggravate problems you already have, and deepen the despair you're already feeling.

But go ahead and feel sorry for a moment. Experience the feeling of being a victim. Take the feeling and hold it in your hand. Close your fingers around it. Grip it tightly. Then open your hand and look at it.

You'll realize that it is not you. Your Self-Pity is something you've chosen to experience. You can just as surely choose not to experience it. You can just as easily choose to let it go. Let that experience of feeling sorry for yourself drop away from you. It's a useless artifact of your past. So abandon it. Put the energy it was previously consuming toward more productive purposes. Use it to move yourself toward where you desire to be.

Either you can chose to keep reminding yourself of what's bad about your life, or you can choose to push yourself to those things that can be good and positive and enjoyable and truly fulfilling. No matter how bad things have become Self-Pity has nothing to offer. No matter how things are, your best choice in any moment is to steadily make them better.

RALPH MARSTON.

I happen to agree with this writing as well. Self-Pity has nothing to offer. Just my honest opinion.

Hopefloats