As we are.

Old 12-25-2005, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dan

As we are.

Self-esteem.

It's maybe unsettling to learn that we need to like ourselves more, especially when we've often been accused of being conceited.
Being conceited does not mean liking oneself; it's really a matter of being smug and contemptuous in our dealing with others. This attitude is easily recognized by others, and it causes them to dislike us.

However, if we like ourselves in the right way, others sense this too, and they will be drawn to us. We will truly like ourselves more as we learn to practice the principles of AA. We will like the kind of life we are trying to live. We will like ourselves for practicing fairness and honesty. We will also like ourselves for letting people see us as we are and feel comfortable doing so. In liking ourselves, we feel no need to impress or dazzle others.

I'll remember today that I have a right to be in the world. I will do my best to be fair toward others, but I will like myself regardless of their reactions.

From the book Walk in Dry Places.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I guess right now it is normal that my mom comes into play in so many things that I think about.
So...my mom was about "fairness" in life. Being fair with others. Giving others a chance.
AND my mom, I believe taught me alot about liking myself in the manner that you speak of here.

I think when we like ourselves we lose the need to prove it to others. It just "is", and it is represented in such a healthy manner. I love..IF we can embrace that feeling. I love it even more when someone finds their comfort zone, and the sparkle returns to their eyes, when they really and truly discover that they do indeed like themselves. It helps everything in life.

Liking ourselves makes us feel more alive.

Just my morning ramblings..
Thanks Dan..
Hope
Old 12-26-2005, 06:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I bite.

...but I will like myself regardless of their reactions.
Reactions or actions.

A thought (or lesson) that has been (and still is) tough for me to accept.

A woman I know failed to deliever on something that she had promised me (sending me some cookies she had baked) . At first I was hurt, then angry at her when I found out she had sent them to others and not me. I let her action alter how I felt about myself. But her failure to follow through does not mean I have to think less of myself. Perhaps she had her own reasons that are not known to me.