Mother and Son.

Old 12-17-2005, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dan

Mother and Son.

My son, the junkie
I finally had to let him save, or kill, himself.
By Wendy Mnookin

Aug. 27, 1999 | Seth sits in the back of the car, crying quietly. My husband and I have just told him we will not pay his rent. He will not get out of the car. Having refused the rent money, we are unable to draw one more boundary: Neither of us tells him to get out of the car.

The young man in the back seat is not recognizable as our son. He is skinny, with a shaved head. His fingernails are dirty and cracked. He sweats profusely, even in cool weather. His clothes are stained, torn at the seams, missing buttons. He shuffles in his untied shoes. He doesn't use his hands to punctuate conversation, the way he used to. He holds them together in his lap to stop their shaking. He still carries around "Crime and Punishment," his favorite book, but he tells us he has trouble concentrating. When he speaks, his words slur, his voice trails off before the ends of sentences.

He looks like someone who is dying.
Source and the rest of the story.

Harvard and heroin
I coasted to an Ivy League degree
as a drug addict, but forever damaged
the bond between mother and son.

By Seth Mnookin
Aug. 27, 1999 | When I was 13, 14 and 15 years old, I used to give my mother my homework assignments. Ostensibly I was asking her to proofread, to fix grammar, tighten up unwieldy constructions, suggest ways to tie together disparate thoughts. She would give them back with her neat, rounded print quietly annotating the pages. Her comments were always gentle: Maybe this sentence should be a little shorter. I think the reader gets lost in all your words.

Those years certainly helped my writing, but I was doing more than asking my mother for help and she was doing more than offering it. We have always connected best over the written word. The first time I really read Shakespeare -- it was "Romeo and Juliet" -- I remember coming into my parents' room late at night. I was 13. My mother was reading, and I paced around her bed. "There's so much there," I said as if I was the first person to discover this. And she smiled at me, and we talked for a bit and then went back to our reading.
Source and the rest of the story.

I was going to post these stories from Salon Magazine in the NarAnon forum, but I don't think I have it in me to handle the ensuing emotional outbursts they may generate.

However, after reading and re-reading these stories again, I feel they contain messages of hope.

Take them or leave them.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Seth's mom:
Although I heard what Seth told me about drugs, I interpreted his story as a temporary problem, a problem that could be fixed. Drug abuse did not fit into my sense of who I was as a mother and who he was as my child. My husband might be right -- Seth had a problem, a serious problem -- but I believed he was willing to change. I believed we could help him change.
I can relate to this all too well. Trevor was a senior in high school when we first discovered his use...

Seth's story is much like Trevor's sans the degree and the ability to keep jobs for a while. But, the whys and the hows are weirdly similar.

Thanks for sharing. Hard to read,but, worth reading. I'm going to send them to his father too. Who knows? ...

Shalom!
Old 12-17-2005, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

There's a story we like to tell at Nar-Anon meetings, about a member of our group who was called in the middle of the night. The nurse on the other end of the phone told her to take the next plane to Florida, where her daughter was in the hospital from an overdose. Calculating the plane schedules, she said she couldn't arrive until the next afternoon.

"You have to hurry!" the nurse implored. "She won't be alive in the morning."

"If she won't be alive in the morning," my friend answered, "why should I hurry?"

My friend's daughter did live, which makes it easier to for us to smile, but I think we would smile anyway, drawn together by the black humor of families perched together on the edge.
Touche. I think every mom here can relate to this. We have buried our children a thousand times in our minds, yet we are never ever ready for what we call "the dreaded phone call".

Excellent article, Dan. I think I will be reading it in small pieces.

Hugs
Ann