I am NOT SICK

Old 12-01-2005, 01:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am NOT SICK

Sick
I hate that term. Okay we abused alcohol and often felt crazy. Sometimes life got all confused and we messed up. But sick? I still find myself sometimes looking at my thoughts thinking: "oh man I am sick, diseased, dysfunctional". What a stupid waste of time that is. Psychologists call it “meta-cognition”, meaning “thoughts about thoughts”. I can happily say that if anyone calls me sick – in that something about me is rotton and there is something fundamentally wrong with the way I interact with the world, I will poke them in the chest with my finger.

Sick? No: imbalanced, upset, afraid, confused, angry. But not SICK. Be careful of what you call yourself.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Five;
I've heard some people refer to alcoholism as dis-ease, when they are uncomfortable with the disease model.
Then again, I've heard others say that the obsession with alcohol, coupled with the compulsion to use, is, indeed a disease.
I have no clue. And in the end, I don't think it matters, as long as you are taking care of the problem.

Shalom!
Old 12-01-2005, 02:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Pejoratives make me want to gag too, Millford.
But then again, when I realize it's all about how I interpret the words, it's really without consequence, unless I decide to take it on board.
The word alcoholic, for example, pisses a lot of people off, apparently...
So, just for today, I am not an alcoholic.
I am just a heavy drinker
Old 12-01-2005, 02:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by historyteach
Five;
I've heard some people refer to alcoholism as dis-ease, when they are uncomfortable with the disease model.
Then again, I've heard others say that the obsession with alcohol, coupled with the compulsion to use, is, indeed a disease.
I have no clue. And in the end, I don't think it matters, as long as you are taking care of the problem.

Shalom!
I am trying to ditch the "alcoholic" tag completley (well, perhaps not entirely).

I agree with you though, people need to find something that fits there own concept of how they understand themselves.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dan
Pejoratives make me want to gag too, Millford.
But then again, when I realize it's all about how I interpret the words, it's really without consequence, unless I decide to take it on board.
The word alcoholic, for example, pisses a lot of people off, apparently...
So, just for today, I am not an alcoholic.
I am just a heavy drinker
I guess it depends on the level of meaning you give them.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dan

Maybe.
Or just how much you accept who and what you are, all of it, on any given day.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

And here's that ole "perspective" rearing its head again!

Shalom!
Old 12-01-2005, 04:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by historyteach
And here's that ole "perspective" rearing its head again!

Shalom!
Whats the old perspective Teach????
Old 12-01-2005, 04:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To Life!

Perspective. It's a beautiful thing.
Ask Dan.

Shalom!
Old 12-01-2005, 04:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Service is a Key

Hello Dan,

That perspective may be that we as alcoholics tend to complicate things, and let matters bother us that shouldn't bother us. I know when I finally surrendered to the disease of Alcoholism and I do believe it is a disease, I can consider myself sick. Aren't people with diseases considered sick? It's a simple correlation to me. I know I am working on my sickness on a daily basis. And the blessing of this sickness is that I have experience with it and I can help others work and deal with theirs.
Have a great Day!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 04:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"Aren't people with diseases considered sick?"

Yes they are, but there is no evidence to suggest alcoholisim is a disease, infact quite the contarary.

Did you think you were "sick" before you came to AA?

"That perspective may be that we as alcoholics tend to complicate things"

Speak for yourself.

Peace.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I have heard both addiction and codependency referred to as a "soul sickness" and that describes it well to me. I don't think it matters much what we call it, what matters is what we do about it and how we learn to live life well and on life's terms.

Hugs
Ann
Old 12-01-2005, 05:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi tabuki,
Yep, I tend to have the ability to complicate a glass of water.
It's part of my make up, I suppose. I wouldn't say that this behavior is strictly reserved to alcoholics and addicts, but I know that it's part of who I am, in relation to the space I occupy on any given day.

Mill, my dear friend, to be blunt...
The impression you leave with me most days, in this 2D world, is that you not only can complicate a simple glass of water, but also expertly muddy up a rain drop.
That's what's so cool about you.
It's like your brain is an open book.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Service is a Key

Originally Posted by Five
"Aren't people with diseases considered sick?"

Yes they are, but there is no evidence to suggest alcoholisim is a disease, infact quite the contarary.

Did you think you were "sick" before you came to AA?

"That perspective may be that we as alcoholics tend to complicate things"

Speak for yourself.

Peace.

I don't think I used the word YOU anywhere in my reply.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tabuki
I don't think I used the word YOU anywhere in my reply.
No you did'nt, I was just trying to make a point. Thing is with making a point you can come off as POINTED. A big fat sharp pointed head.

Peace Tab. We have all unique ways of understanding things. I wasnt having a dig at you...just some ideas around alcoholisim. I dont even know where they came from. Bill o bond didnt use terms like sick etc.

Anway, MJ.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Service is a Key

Cool, thx for the follow up!!!

May the force, or a good force, of your choice be with you.

Have a great day.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The greatest enemies of us alcoholics are resentments,envy,frustration and fear.BB,We began to see that the world and its people really dominated us.in that state the wrong doing of others fancied or real had power to actuallt kill.How could we escape?This was our course.We realized that the people who wronged us were perhaps spiritually sick.We asked God to help us show them the same tolerance,pity,and patience that we would cheerfully grant a sick friend.When a person offended we said to ourselves,this is a sick man.How can i be helpful to him?God save me from being angry.Thy will be done.We avoid retaliation......or argument.We wouldnt treat sick people that way...We looked for our own mistakes.Fear was an evil and corroding thread,the fabric of our existance was shot through with it..
By all means if the word sick is offending da ego,dont use it.To each their own.I use it all the time,.For when i think of another as being sick,and,myself sick,and not doing saying hurtful thigs on purpose,mean-ness,then my heart is more open to both them and myself.I become more understanding of folks.I become more willing to accept/tolearte others.I become more willing to change,and work in ,my own,recovery.
Now i dont know about you,but yes there was something fundamentally wrong with me with the way i interacted with the world,before comming to recovery rooms..There was a time i couldnt face the world without being drunk.Really,I could care less what folks or myself calls me,whats important to me,is that, there is a solution,there,is hope,this is where my focus is on,and that i can change,and grow.I no longer have to live the way i once did.Live and let live,Acceptance,tolerance of others.And if,i've handed contol of my thoughts and feelings to others,than im the problem not them.I can take it back,and pray for them.This is the action that helps us both.
Thanks for letting me share,
God Bless,and take care!!!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 07:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

"By all means if the word sick is offending da ego"

Ahhh I know what you mean by this Cap.

Do you think its my pride thats being hurt?

Well...okay, maybe it is. Proud that I dont use horrific terms to label myself, and horrific terms to label other people.

If thats what Pride is, they should bottle it and sell it.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Binge poster

Hey

I've got a bit of trouble with the sick label.

1) if my partner isn't sick then the way she acts, talks and obviously thinks is sometimes sheer badness - if I didn't believe there was some kind of imbalance in her head that makes her act this way I'd be out the door and running down the lane with a big trail of dust behind me.

2) if she is sick then, well, emmmm. I'm just a bad, heartless bitch who is running out of patience.

I'd like to think it's a sickness, but I've not made my mind up.

J
xxx
Old 12-01-2005, 07:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Five,,{ive always wanted to say this since i first saw your name...smile...}
Do i think its your pride that is being hurt?
Do i know you?
I do know that its only ego,that gets offened.Its the only thing in a person,that will feel offended...ahe,people,places and things eh?..Step One.
Pride goes before da fall,this is my belief.When i think how i use to be so very full of pride,man im heading for the toliet,now.I stomped on folks,etc,,all in the name of my pride.So,im learning self-love.In self-loving myself,im then able to pass this on to others.Love.Loving them too.I give to others ALL that im feeling about myself.
Rule 62,dont take yourself or others so dam seriously.This too helps me...smile....