Stuff your drinking papered over the cracks..

Old 11-08-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stuff your drinking papered over the cracks..

I had a slip last week. I am over it now and have had five days sober since. That happened after over two months of sobriety, which included regular four days a week AA meetings, reading, focusing and the rest. I felt really committed.

The slip was caused..well let's put it this way - the excuse I used for the slip - was the state of my mind and thinking. In particular the rushing and speeding of my thinking and thoughts, their chaotic nature and a level of anxiety which feeds all of that - or causes it. It happens in all sorts of ways, but one of the most anxiety provoking is a sort of hypochondria, where, for example, an ulcer in my mouth will suddenly in my mind become cancer, which in turn will lead to thoughts about death, my funeral, whether AA members would come..my family's reaction to all that..etc..

A racing mind seems to be what my alcohol abuse was made for, which is to say I suspect I learnyt to use alcohol to calm my negative runaway thinking down at an early age. Whatever else it created, and most of it was negative I hasten to add, it did seem to stop that sort of runaway head movie syndrome.

Anyone else recognise this and have any ideas about dealing with it?
Old 11-08-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have that racing mind too Mentium

the best way I can describe how I learned to deal with it is I stopped being afraid of it and harnessed it...I now use it for good instead of evil

If that makes it sound easy it wasn't - like you I was very anxious but once you take drinking off the table as an option I think you're forced to look for other solutions and if you look dilligently enough you either find a solution or reach a point of peaceful coexistence

After a while I eventually remembered that as a kid I'd have these incredible mental gymnastics...I'm not sure when I forgot about that and when the babble became something that caused me anxiety but maybe it just wore me down in the end because I couldn't switch off...so I switched off totally for the next 20 years

now I'm switched on and I like it again...but I also know that I need balance - I need to find things that relax me and shut the brain down every so often, or at least switch it into fun mode..

D
Old 11-08-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Dee, do you think I might use my racing mind "for good instead of evil"

I dunno. Been enjoying the bad guy roles for so long

Seriously, I love that quote

I have had the same racing mind (I call it brain on a hamster wheel) problem Mentium.

I read, exercise, write stuff in a journal which helps some.
The best thing for me is long walks in the forest with my dogs.

I'm trying some meditation lately as yoga helps so much.
Have you ever done that? I'm starting with just a few minutes.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found that "Mindful meditation" can be hugely helpful with this.

You can get an intro here:

Free Guided Meditations | UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center
Old 11-08-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

My BF and I (both in recovery) have been listening to Eckhart Tolle videos in the morning to get our day off on the right track.

We listened to this one this morning on the very subject of quieting the mind of racing thoughts (something we both experience) Eckhart Tolle Reveals How to Silence Voices in Your Head - Super Soul Sunday - Oprah Winfrey Network - YouTube
Old 11-08-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What you describe sounds a lot like that 'restless, irritable, and discontent' talked about in the BB. I don't know what kind of step work you are doing, Mentium, but there is a big difference between reading about the Steps and actually taking them. Have you actually fully conceded to your innermost self that you're alcoholic, then moved through Steps 2-3 and working on a 4th Step? Have you 5th Stepped that and started making amends?

I've seen a bunch of guys light up and put this drinking behind them for good somewhere around Step 9.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have also had benefit of mindfulness meditation.

I train/practice every night for 10 minutes – mostly I can stop my mind when it gets excited in a unproductive way – just to catch the mind in it and bring it back.

The mind likes to be distracted with thoughts, TV, surfing the Web or whatever. It is ok sometimes, but it has its limits in my view.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There is not a very easy solution for this, im afraid.

Over a year of sobriety, and that racing mind still happens. It does happen less, and I can deal with it better all the time.

The thing is, if you drink when it occurs, you will never learn the coping skills to address it.

Best thing I could do is white knuckle through it initially.

Now Ive learned there are a few things that help.

1. Address the issue with action. Can I change it or do anything about it? If so, DO IT.
I like to procrastinate, and dwell, which is a downward spiral.

2. If there is nothing that I can do about it, like if its about other people or something that is out of my hands, DIVERT MY ATTENTION. exercise, go somewhere, as long as you arent drinking, physically CHANGE where you are at.

3. Examine your status. If I am tired or hungry, I am WAY more susceptible to stress and anxiety. Get plenty of sleep, and eat regular healthy meals. Try to avoid sugar. Not eliminate it, I think it helps cravings, but maybe some treat once a day, instead of all day.

4. Meditation/Mindfulness exercises. You will find out quickly how obsessive your mind is working when you begin the process of clearing it. Some things will pop up over and over again. Conscious recognition of these processes in thought will allow you to acknowledge them, and quiet them. Meditation is mentioned constantly in some 12 step programs. I now know why. Its been a lifesaver.
If you don't really understand meditation, check out a class. It is something that you can go do that isnt drinking. It will allow you to meet non drinking people, and it will send you in a healthy mental direction. Win win win!
Old 11-08-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Cognitive Behavior Therapy
Old 11-10-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've seen a bunch of guys light up and put this drinking behind them for good somewhere around Step 9
There are probably lots of ways to get rid of anxiety and a racing brain, but this above is what happened to me.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post

A racing mind seems to be what my alcohol abuse was made for, which is to say I suspect I learnyt to use alcohol to calm my negative runaway thinking down at an early age. Whatever else it created, and most of it was negative I hasten to add, it did seem to stop that sort of runaway head movie syndrome.

Anyone else recognise this and have any ideas about dealing with it?
I needed a period of white-knuckled abstinence to get alcohol out of my body.

After I got the alcohol out of my body, I needed a program of recovery to get it out of my life.

After I got alcohol out of my life, I needed a Spiritual Awakening to get it out of my mind.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mentium, what you describe with your thinking about the ulcer sounds to me like Health Anxiety. I suffer with health anxiety and it is really tough. I began seeing a psychologist to work through it but if you are interested I can PM you some links to a website that has work sheets to help you deal with health anxiety
Old 11-16-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would totally agree with you. My mind races with a stream of negative thoughts and alcohol was totally a way to curb that for me.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I needed a period of white-knuckled abstinence to get alcohol out of my body.

After I got the alcohol out of my body, I needed a program of recovery to get it out of my life.

After I got alcohol out of my life, I needed a Spiritual Awakening to get it out of my mind.
This is really helpful and well said! Thank you Boleo!
Old 11-17-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all! I never realized I had this problem until I read this thread. My drinking usually begins with racing negative thoughts, mostly doom and gloom scenarios that are totally out of my control.