Torn Between NA and AA

Old 11-06-2005, 08:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Torn Between NA and AA

OK I just don't know what to do here I am torn it feels like I don't know which one to focus on will I deny one addiction if I leave the other. I just posted on the AA forum yet I have always posted on the NA but yet it seem like I am going from one to the other. I have not been reading the NA for a while and now am really active in the AA program feel comfortable, yet I almost feel like a trader I don't know I should probably just stop I probably am not making a damn bit of sense..OK

Love Vic
Old 11-06-2005, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

keep it simple Vic. Stick with what is working for you.

Don't worry about being a traitor. As long as you stay straight your setting an example for recovery, no matter what room you get it.

the thing that pisses me off most about this disease is that even after we find people we can relate to it still finds ways to try and isolate us from one another.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As usuall,well said Gooch. I'm gonna stick with NA myself.It seems to work for me.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by Gooch
keep it simple Vic. Stick with what is working for you.

Don't worry about being a traitor. As long as you stay straight your setting an example for recovery, no matter what room you get it.

the thing that pisses me off most about this disease is that even after we find people we can relate to it still finds ways to try and isolate us from one another.
I just don't know what to do I love NA and AA. I really do but here you can only belong to one home group and in NA they don't have one that meets everyday hell most of them only meet 2 or 3 times a week..That is why we started the Where Dreams Come True Group back home cause we wanted a NA meeting everyday.

Then I find myself reading one book and not the other, like the last 3 weeks all I have been doing is reading AA now I have not done that for a long time. I feel like I am saying that I don't have a alcohol problem when I had that problem well before I used drugs but yet today I know that I am an addict. OH boy here goes my head LOL>>>>OK I just don't know anymore...

Love Vic
Old 11-07-2005, 06:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

Work your program with one sponsor. Don't matter where.
The rest, is gravy
Old 11-07-2005, 07:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
learning

I have a question that is really going to expose my complete ignorance about 12 step groups, but other than the home group issue you describe, what are the differences between AA and NA?

Perhaps a good analysis of them will help you decide which is more conducive to your journey.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

The primary difference is that AA focuses on Alcohol only, while NA focues on drugs, of which alcohol is included. The problem many run into, and it sounds like this may be an issue for vic here, is that AA, having been around for a lot longer has many more meetings and is more established in general. However some AA groups completely forbid any discussion of any drugs other than alcohol, thus making it difficult or uncomfortable for someone who has issues with alcohol and other drugs as well. I have been to other AA groups where other drugs are discussed openly with no problem, it really depends on the area and the individual group I think. The basic priciples behind both groups are essentially the same.

Personally, vic, I dont' see the problem with going to both AA and NA if it helps you. It's not like the bloods and the crips!! My understanding is that drugs are your primary issue, so I would think you might be more comfortable with NA, but like I said it depends on what your local AA meetings are like. Bottom line is, do what works for you. Take care.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dan

Step one of AA states we were powerless over alcohol.
Step one of NA states we were powerless over our addiction.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
learning

Originally Posted by Dan
Step one of AA states we were powerless over alcohol.
Step one of NA states we were powerless over our addiction.
But other than that they are essentially the same? If you are working the same steps and going through the same process, why would an AA group feel the need to not let a person addicted to something else participate? Sounds like turning someone away because they are addicted to the wrong substance.

From what I am hearing it sounds like this is not always the case. That is a good thing and I hope Vic finds a more open-minded AA group with meetings that fit his schedule.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dan

Well, there's the whole primary purpose thing, which is somewhat of a contentious issue at times in the rooms of AA, or at least, in my lived experience in those rooms, I should say. I've been in meetings where introducing one's self as an addict will raise the ire of longtimers, and I've also been in rooms where the longtimers don't give a chit 'bout what you call yourself.
They see a life made unmamageable through the use and abuse of a substance, and believe the program of AA can help and want to share it.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

I have a question that is really going to expose my complete ignorance about 12 step groups. Bartender
Dude, you did that awhile ago.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

Personally, vic, I dont' see the problem with going to both AA and NA if it helps you. It's not like the bloods and the crips!! tyler
I agree! I use AA, but I hit NA and CA meetings regularly. Take what you need and leave the rest.

However, when I sponsor, I stick to women with pill and alcohol problems....simply because I don't know what it is like to be a heroin, cocaine, meth addict.

Peace
Old 11-07-2005, 09:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
learning

Originally Posted by Dan
They see a life made unmamageable through the use and abuse of a substance, and believe the program of AA can help and want to share it.
Cool. And the other groups should just keep a "primary purpose" of trying to help people.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
learning

Originally Posted by FaeryQueen
LOL...now that was funny!
Old 11-07-2005, 09:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by bartender129
Cool. And the other groups should just keep a "primary purpose" of trying to help people.
But they do.
You just need to dig for it sometimes, depending on your level of desperation.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by FaeryQueen
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

LOL...now that was funny! Bartender129
You're a good sport Bart. <!-- / message -->
Old 11-07-2005, 10:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dan
You just need to dig for it sometimes, depending on your level of desperation.
Exactly. When I was ready, I found it.

Y'all know my story. I am a drug addict who found recovery in AA. I have an AA sponsor who works the steps out of the NA Workbook with me in addition to working the program of AA. It works for me (and isn't that the point?).

My answer to you, Vic, is BOTH. And, I cordially invite you to discuss this conflict you are having with your SPONSOR.

--phinny
Old 11-07-2005, 03:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm an addict who found Narcotics Anonymous through an AA New years eve party attended by some long haired, addicts wearing leather vests. For the first year of my pre recovery, I attended both fellowships. After I spent a year back out trying to use anything successfully, and some time in jail, I decided to just do what I needed to do to stay clean and the hell with what anyone else thought. I went to an nA meeting the day I got out of jail, and it was a couple years before I wentto an AA meeting again and that was to support a sponsee who chose to attend meetings of both fellowships. Just for the record I haven't heard from him in a long time but last I knew he was doing a 2 year bid.

My heart is in NA but I have friends and family all over the place. These days when I hear someone from AA share, the similarities of emotional, difficulty, the insanity, and the denial cut righ through any differences of terminology.

I goit a friend that says ... "pick a program, drive a stake in there and claim your place, because when the storm hits you wnat something to hang onto thats close. You don't want to have to get caught in the middle between shelters."

'If a storms brewing Vic, just grab on where you are and don;t worry about us over in teh other tent. We'll get by just fine and still welcome you when the weathers better.