New stuff.

Old 10-28-2005, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dan

New stuff.

Fortitude.

Sometimes sobriety turns up problems that were never apparent during one's drinking days. Some people, for example, encounter marriage problems that lead to divorce. It almost appears that some things were better when we were drinking.
But there are good reasons why sobriety brings new problems. One is that we become aware of problems that were there all the time, although not acknowledged. It's possible, too, that sobriety brings more responsibility, along with risks of failure. At the same time, we might be more sensitive to the real problems of living.

We should never use such problems as an excuse for drinking. It is true, as many people say, that drinking can only make matters worse. Nothing can be improved by a return to drinking.

I must remember today that sobriety means living on a new basis. This includes facing problems and dealing with them. Not running from them as I did in the past.

From the book Walk in Dry Places.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Definitely. Not running away from my problems is tough but not impossible. Its very rewarding when one is successful in the completion.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It was only when I sobered up that I realized I had big problems in regards to relationships, especially my older siblings who I feel were emotionally abusive to me.