Respect

Old 10-28-2005, 03:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Respect

You are reading from the book Today's Gift.

I feel no need for any other faith than my faith in human beings.
--Pearl S. Buck

We owe each other respect. We cannot expect to be respected if we don't respect others around us. When we respect others, we respect their property and personal belongings as well as their self-esteem and their right to voice an opinion. Respect is a way of cooperating with each other.

We can imagine a submarine where crewmembers did not respect each other's personal belongings or their ability to do the job. The ship would soon stop functioning because of the chaos. In a family we live in close quarters, like a submarine crew. Respect for each other is one of the things, which keeps chaos from breaking out. When we grow in respect for each other's property, abilities, and self-esteem, we soon see how valuable each member of our crew really is.

How can I show respect to those around me today?
Old 10-28-2005, 04:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Very good post, Ann...
And one we can all learn from.
"We can imagine a submarine where crewmembers did not respect each other's personal belongings or their ability to do the job.The ship would soon stop functioning because of the chaos. In a family we live in close quarters, like a submarine crew. Respect for each other is one of the things, which keeps chaos from breaking out."
And a message board too...
We don't have to agree with another's opinion. But, to attack someone because of their opinion is not a sign of recovery. It creates chaos and says more about the attacker than the one with the opinion.
We can keep our own opinions even when another voices something different. Perspective is often the key.
Keep the chaos away. Keep our own side of the streets clean. We can walk tall that way. Regardless of what another does.
Shalom!
Old 10-28-2005, 04:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Amen, Teach, being respectful means also respecting our differences and our right to have our own feelings and opinions.

You and I haven't always seen eye to eye, Teach, but I don't think there is anyone here worthy of more respect than you (and me of course, LOL).

Our similarities are what draw us together in fellowship, and our differences should not be what drives us apart, but instead be what makes us interesting.

Hugs
Ann
Old 10-28-2005, 04:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Today's Gift
We cannot expect to be respected if we don't respect others around us.
Precisely
Old 10-28-2005, 05:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This reminds me SO much of the quote in one of my meditation books. "Respectability/Cons"
"I'm much better off dealing with my shame than trying to bury it fake respectability"
Aren't we all?
A great reminder of how we need to look "within" not "without" to find our answers. I hope it is okay to pat myself on the back a little. I am SO proud of the work I have done, being a real team player. Recovery is a beautiful thing.
Hope
Old 10-28-2005, 11:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
On a tear

It helps me to remember:

Experience, Hope, and Strength

If I stay away from posting "opinions" and try to stay with "I statements", I do much better at showing respect for those with whom I do not necessarily agree.

Funny thing - I do way better HERE than I do at "live" meetings... at least here, I get a second chance to read my thoughts before pressing "Post..". While at live meetings, I hear it the same time y'all do.... and am sometimes, just as shocked.

Respect can be a real "loaded" term for me with heavy connotations of responsibility, expectations and expected outcomes. It is a word I have learned to be careful around... you never know when I might set something off!