Inner Values

Old 10-22-2005, 04:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Inner Values

Do your outer choices reflect your inner values? If not, then your life will move from one conflict to another.

Yet when the choices you make do indeed come from the person you are, then you will travel steadily in the direction of your highest visions. When your actions are in agreement with your purpose, those actions will surely take you where you most want to go.

Why would you ever act in opposition to who you truly are? Unfortunately, there are plenty of temptations to do so.

It could be that you're worried about what others will think, so you go along with what they expect you to do, even though it hurts somewhere inside. Or it could be that you crave the false sense of security that material possessions and shallow pleasures seem to offer.

Yet the real you, the beautiful, unique person inside, knows better. The more you allow your own deeply held values to guide your moment-to-moment thoughts and actions, the more fulfilling and joyful life will become.

There is real and inexhaustible value in the authentic person you are. Let your life express it in everything you do.

-- Ralph Marston
Old 10-22-2005, 04:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

The more you allow your own deeply held values to guide your moment-to-moment thoughts and actions, the more fulfilling and joyful life will become.

There is real and inexhaustible value in the authentic person you are. Let your life express it in everything you do.
This is the second reading that I have posted today that is reminding me to stay true to myself and my values. What an important reminder that is for me to stop questioning what others think and to listen to what my heart tells me is right.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann
Do your outer choices reflect your inner values? If not, then your life will move from one conflict to another.

Yet when the choices you make do indeed come from the person you are, then you will travel steadily in the direction of your highest visions. When your actions are in agreement with your purpose, those actions will surely take you where you most want to go.
This is a big one for me. I say that taking care of myself (recovery, spirituality, physical exercise, etc.) is my higest priority, my first commitment, but my life says differently. I chose to remain in a high-pressure, long-hours job that doesn't allow me to take care of my inner needs. I had to take a good, long, hard look at that. The good news is that I have finally taken a leap of faith and am walking away from the job for awhile. It's time to get my life congruent with my spiritual values.

If I take care of my inner needs, the outer circumstances will take care of themselves. I think that is the lesson.

hugs,

phinny
Old 10-22-2005, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Phinneas
It's time to get my life congruent with my spiritual values.
I like that a lot.
It's one of my largest fears, that my so called authentic self is made up of parts that just don't jive and mesh into something that can stand up to the light of another day.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It's time to get my life congruent with my spiritual values.

If I take care of my inner needs, the outer circumstances will take care of themselves. I think that is the lesson.
Phinny, you have a way with clarity and words, of taking a complicating thought and making it simple. And of putting action behind your thoughts...I am so glad you are taking a step back from that job and doing what is right for you.

Hugs
Ann
Old 10-22-2005, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by Dan
It's one of my largest fears, that my so called authentic self is made up of parts that just don't jive and mesh into something that can stand up to the light of another day.
Only you know who that authentic person is Dan, but the good person I see could stand up to any light on any given day. Finding the harmony between what is inside and what is healthy for you outside is music that only you can play and dance to.

Hugs
Ann
Old 10-22-2005, 08:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dan

It's like a computer.
Systems and components management.
Smooth operation requires harmony among all the different programs and software.
And a good firewall.

Now, throw that computer in the middle of a network of computers.
Doesn't take long to notice my software needs tweaking, most days.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I think I understand that
Old 10-22-2005, 08:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann
I think I understand that
I'm glad somebody does.

(Dan - back away from the computer for awhile... back away from the computer.)

--phinny
Old 10-22-2005, 08:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dan

Parabolic language...
Fails every time.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dan
... Doesn't take long to notice my software needs tweaking, most days...
Only if you compare the user interface of the other systems agains the device drivers of your system. i.e.; You write a cool OS, small, efficient, reliable and then you compare it against Windoze. Of course windows looks prettier. However, looking pretty is not the purpose of an OS, is it?

In program speak: Don't compare your insides against other people's outsides.

That's why we go to meetings. To hear other people share their _insides_. Nowhere else can we find that.

In geek speak: A meeting is like a tech seminar for driver gurus. No marketing weenies, no management black hats, just gurus sharing kung-fu.

Mike :-)
Old 10-22-2005, 09:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Gee, I may need a vacation but I think I understood that too.

I know I understood this part...
Don't compare your insides against other people's outsides.
The way I see it is that I am a unique spirit and who I am and what is right for me, may or may not be what is right for another person. It's about the "rightness for me" of the situation as much as the "who-ness" . If I keep myself spiritually fit, become the best person I can be and stay true to my values, it doesn't matter how people see me, who they think they see or what they think of what they just saw.

This doesn't mean I am right, it doesn't mean I am a perfect person, spiritually or otherwise, and it doesn't mean that I am not responsible for my own actions...it simply means that I am taking care of my inner needs and allowing the outside circumstances to take care of themselves..and as Phinny said, therein lies the lesson.

Hugs
Ann
Old 10-22-2005, 10:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann
... Gee, I may need a vacation but I think I understood that too...
YOu know what they say, geek-ness rubs off. Like cooties. Spend too much time haning out with us geeks and you just might catch it.

Originally Posted by Ann
... it doesn't matter how people see me, who they think they see or what they think of what they just saw. ...
Stay true to your values and you will find that you attract other people who are true to _theirs_. In program-speak that's "Stick with the winners". If you go to an established meeting, especially the larger ones, there's a row of obvious losers in the back of the room, and a bunch of very sane and serene folks in the front of the room. Those "winners" in the front are just like the "winners" here at SR, they attract each other.

Originally Posted by Ann
... This doesn't mean I am right, it doesn't mean I am a perfect person, ...
Agree completely. It also means that we are making "spiritual progress", which is the whole point of the program

Old 10-22-2005, 10:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I like the way you put things, Mike. Spiritual progress is teaching me so many good things as I go, and I think I am finally finding that ongoing peace, not just the spurts here and there but that "wake up in the morning and feel good" kinda peace.

Now about the geekness, I have been here at SR going in 4 years, and I am STILL learning what some of the buttons do. In the University of Geekness, I am in about 5th grade.

Hugs
Ann
Old 10-22-2005, 10:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by DesertEyes
In program speak: Don't compare your insides against other people's outsides.
Who's comparing?
I'm talkin' interfacing with the network
Old 10-22-2005, 10:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dan
Who's comparing?
I'm talkin' interfacing with the network
I can run with that

How 'bout not confusing a parity mis-match with an incorrect service on the protocol stack? My packet buffers work just fine, but sometimes I get time-outs when other people have different services. ( Ever try to get TCP/IP to connect to 802.11? ) The program teaches me how to bring a new service online without having to re-boot the OS

Old 10-22-2005, 10:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Dan

Cool
There's also virtual memory data dumps, but that's another socket.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm taking notes here and gonna get them translated. I think this is a code and they are plotting something wicked.

Mike says: Ever try to get TCP/IP to connect to 802.11?

Dan says:There's also virtual memory data dumps, but that's another socket.

Did I really SAY this??: I like the way you put things, Mike.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann
... I think this is a code and they are plotting something wicked....
*LMAO* Now you know what it felt like when I walked into my very first f2f al-anon meeting and everybody is talking about "detachment" and "enabling" and "release"

Originally Posted by Ann
... and gonna get them translated. ....
Oh I can help with that

Dan says:There's also virtual memory data dumps, but that's another socket.

Transaltion: There's also pitty parties, but that's another story.

Mike