Being Honest With Ourselves

Old 10-16-2005, 04:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Being Honest With Ourselves

I post the daily reading from this book on Nar-Anon each morning, but I felt this one sends a powerful message about honouring ourselves and applies to any one of us in recovery, regardless of side of the fence we are on.

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go.

Being Honest with Ourselves

Our relationship with ourselves is the most important relationship we need to maintain. The quality of that relationship will determine the quality of our other relationships.

When we can tell ourselves how we feel, and accept our feelings, we can tell others.

When we can accept what we want and need, we will be ready to have our wants and needs met.

When we can accept what we think and believe, and accept what's important to us, we can relay this to others.

When we learn to take ourselves seriously, others will too.

When we learn to chuckle at ourselves, we will be ready to laugh with others.

When we have learned to trust ourselves, we will be trustworthy and ready to trust.

When we can be grateful for who we are, we will have achieved self-love.

When we have achieved self-love and accepting our wants and needs, we will be ready to give and receive love.

When we've learned to stand on our own two feet, we're ready to stand next to someone.

Today, I will focus on having a good relationship with myself.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

wonderful post ann!
Old 10-16-2005, 02:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

When we can be grateful for who we are, we will have achieved self-love.

When we have achieved self-love and accepting our wants and needs, we will be ready to give and receive love.

When we've learned to stand on our own two feet, we're ready to stand next to someone.
Phinny has a post here about the journey to self-love, and this post, particularly those three lines really say it all. When we learn, finally, to love ourselves and be the best person we can be, every single thing that we need to love others is in place.

Hugs
Ann
Old 10-16-2005, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I bite.

That is a good book. I need to get back to reading that and some of her other writings.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Thats another post that is making the way to my printer as I type this. Thank you for sharing it with us!
Old 10-20-2005, 05:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dan

It's surprising enough and even humiliating to find an old resentment flaring up, sometimes years after we thought it had been put to rest. When that happens, we wonder how thorough we really were in releasing the resentment in the first place.

The secret of handling this problem is to turn the old resentment over to our Higher Power without wasting time wondering why it came up again. We need to deal with it as if it were a brand-new problem; and in a sense, it is.
As for questioning our past sincerity, that too is a waste of time. We are always trying to do our best with the understanding we have for each day. Being too hard on ourselves does not make it easier to practice our program. Resentments can and do return but they don't have to destroy us.

I'll realize today that I am always susceptible to any of my ongoing problems, including resentment. Fortunately, I have my program for dealing with them when they occur.
Yep.
Letting go is a monumental task sometimes, isn't it?

I wonder how much honesty is required, on any given day, to achieve, as metioned in the reading opening this thread, a good relationship with myself.

Do I still get to pick and choose where, when? To what degree?
This stuff really bothers me. I got it when I spot it...
'xcept sometimes, that's the only way to be honest. Showing I got it.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
I wonder how much honesty is required, on any given day, to achieve, as metioned in the reading opening this thread, a good relationship with myself.

Do I still get to pick and choose where, when? To what degree?
I know that for me, when I take quiet time and look into my heart I find answers, honest answers about what is right for me. And when I stay true to my heart and my values, even when I stand alone, I am at peace with myself.

For me, to pick and choose between what I KNOW is right for me and what I want or what others want, compromises those values and leaves me uneasy.

"To thine own self be true" means honouring my feelings, good and bad, and sorting through them, taking an inventory if you will, praying on it and giving it up, or letting it go. Sometimes it's not easy, sometimes it takes time, but in the end I become a better person for it.

Hugs
Ann