Agnostic Recovery

Old 10-15-2005, 12:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Agnostic Recovery

As an agnostic I have a real hard time trying recovery to church. Is there an evelutionist theory? Quite simpy stop the poison or you will dyeing? Just in a more compationate tone?
Old 10-15-2005, 11:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Triton, I had a rough time with the connection that I felt was to organized religion. I eventually found it completely possible to attend meetings and develop my own understanding of a higher power. If the next guy can stay straight and part of his spiritual maintenance is fellowshipping through a church, fine by me. If another fellow communes with the God of his understanding in a sweat lodge, or while rock climbing, or playing the blues, it's all good by me. Probably the greatest gift derived from "Live and let live" is the right to foster your own individual connection with the greater consciousness that created order from chaos.

There are too many hard fast guidelines fhat dictate how things work at a moleculer level for me to not believe in something bigger than myself.

I didn't have too much trouble coming to terms that booze and drugs were running my life, why not take a chance and give "listening to a source of positive energy" an honest try.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Michael

Triton,
I have no HP and I found that together with the fact that I could not conceive of a way to admit that I was powerless over alcohol led me away from AA. I have used rational recovery and smart and I depend on my own willpower to keep me sober. It works for me and I am sure it works for many others too.
I do not and never have criticised AA. It is a wonderful organisation and it helps millions of people. If you can come to terms with it's basic ethos then that's fine. If not then you should do a little trawling around the web and see if there are organisations and methods out there that better fit your needs.
Best wishes
Michael