Positive Posting/Thanks Becky

Old 10-12-2005, 05:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Positive Posting/Thanks Becky

Just to show that good can come from a bad event. I was thinking about a recent thread. Although it got people's dander up, it pointed out what I think is missing. I thought I'd try to make the point in a different way. I agree that we should try a little balance in our posting. Yes, we need to vent and talk about problems. However, many times I've passed right over something good or a positive statement by another like it didn't happen. I was called on this at the VA a few weeks ago. While I was making a statement about an earth shattering event in my life, that I can't remember now, someone complimented me. I continued on like he never said it, and when asked couldn't repeat what he just said moments ago. The counselor ponited out that although unintentioned, I made the other Veteran feel that what he said wasn't important. I admit it, I'm not a good listener at times. She had us back up and replay the situation. Only this time I listened and took the time to thank him. This time the results were both of us feeling good. Not sure you can identify but, recieving compliments has always been difficult for me. I get very uncomfortable, like the person is refering to someone else and speaking to me by mistake. Anyway, I'd like to suggest that we all try and posts on a positive note more often. I feel this important for the newcomer also to see.
However, it is a 2 way street. We readers need to also go into and "READ" the positive posts and maybe respond. I have a sister, 25 years sober, that always suggested balance, structure and consistancy in our recovery. I now can see this apply to action as well. We've all worked with a person that always complains about the job. We tend to avoid that person, consider it, could we be that person? Do people avoid us? We all need to look into ourselves and decide. Like many other things, change has got to come from within. From the outside? many times falls on our deaf ears. Don W
Old 10-12-2005, 06:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I will be the first to admit that I often times skim over or dont read the more positive posts as much as I do the less positive ones. Not sure why that is,I guess looking for posts that closely mirror stuff that i have gone through,or am going through. Hmm,perhaps by not looking for positive upbeat things has contributed to this undercurrent of anger that has plagued me lately.Dont get me wrong,I have no desire to relapse to drinking again,and even with the anger,I am very grateful for every day I wake up and dont drink. That gratitude was a long time coming. i have had many days in the past years where I wasnt one bit grateful to be sober,in fact was ticked off I cant drink without consequence.

So, I pledge to start reading and contribuiting to the positve ones and also being supportive to those who are really struggling,and to let them know it does get better,and that there is always hope that anyone who is still breathing can get sober. Never lose hope.
Hugs,
Becky
Old 10-12-2005, 06:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don,
Thanks for starting this thread. The other thread was locked by the time I got to read the outcome. We need to find balance, and harder, find a way to stay balanced. With the ups and downs that life throws at us, this is not an easy task.

Becky,
I wanted to mention how much I admired your amends. That takes a lot of courage, strenght, and integrity to do. That gives me an indication that you have a good program of recovery in your life. That is something to be proud of.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Today, we have breathed life into each others day. The air in recovery is fresh and clean. Those that are new or suffering need a safe place to weather the storms. Among many places Sr is and alway will be a safe harbour. Problems? Yes. Alcohol free? Yes-Yes-Yes!!!!!!! Thanks Becky for jumping in to help get "er" going. We need others to join in. Being positive and happy takes practice. You and namommy, have really ended my night of work on a positive note. And I thank you.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I did it! I did it! I was able to find a Captain America, use my Photo Studio, reduce the size to Avitar size, save it and post it. Next I'll try the signature photo. One proud Don W
Old 10-13-2005, 03:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by namommy

Becky,
I wanted to mention how much I admired your amends. That takes a lot of courage, strenght, and integrity to do. That gives me an indication that you have a good program of recovery in your life. That is something to be proud of.
Thank you Namommy(love your name,by the way!). I have discovered that I need to listen to the gut feeling I get after I have done something and to do what I can to make it right. Otherwise it just eats at me.I have an amazing sponsor this time around who is more than willing to help me with that. I have learned that letting this stuff eat at me is a surefire ticket back to drinking for me,after a long period of being guilty and miserable before-hand.
becky
Old 10-13-2005, 03:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Don W
I did it! I did it! I was able to find a Captain America, use my Photo Studio, reduce the size to Avitar size, save it and post it. Next I'll try the signature photo. One proud Don W

Thats gonna be cool!!
Becky