Which states are best?

Old 10-06-2005, 03:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To Life!

Which states are best?

What are the best states for recovery from addiction?
What supports do your state have available for someone trying to get clean?

I'm looking at medical, social, and spiritual supports.
Does your state have programs available? For whom? (IE, wealthy only or indigent too?)
Is there medical care for those with dual diagnoses?
Are there long term programs?
Is there follow up with half way houses or any other method?
Is a spiritual component always a part of recovery, or are there alternatives available in rehabs there?
Most importantly, is there a comprehensive program available; one that addresses all the issues of the addict. One that doesn't fracture the addict into pieces that do not overlap.

Please tell me about the recovery options available in your state.
Thank you...

Shalom!
Old 10-06-2005, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Teach,

Check out these 2 sites.

www.ncadd.org

http://dasis3.samhsa.gov/PrxInput.as...E=Pennsylvania

The second one lists lesser known facilities. Some are free. It works for all states.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

Your questions, at least the latter ones, will be answered differently depending on the answerer's personal point of view.

What exactly are you looking for? It would be easier to reply with a specific answer to that question.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, Laurie...I've seen those two sites. Actually one of the triggers for this post. Thanks!

Fuster, I'm looking for straight facts. What are the options available in the different states. I could put in one minute what's available in RI.
So, what type of recovery programs are available in whatever state you're in?
I'm not asking for "good" or "bad." I'm asking what is there; what is offered. The difference between Mass and RI is so striking! I know there's other states with different ideas too. See what I mean? Hope I'm being clear.

Shalom!
Old 10-06-2005, 05:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've also found that it is different in each part of the state.

I know around here there are an amazing number of options and resources. The central part of PA does not offer as much, yet another part has an amazing reputation for good recovery.

You can get a better idea if you check into what your congressman or senators points of view on addiction and recovery are.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

Been gone for a bit. Now, to answer the question more.

I live in Washington. If you live here there are treatment programs that provide services for low and no income persons, if you qualify. Must be a resident, and then there are county requirements, depending on the county. The county I am in has funding for people on medicaid, medicare, SSI, and there are some grants available to pick up other situations. If you are receiving mental health services (which fall under separate funding), you can also get CD services with that.

There are in patient facilities here, depends on where you live as to how close they are. Not all accept public funding sources. Some have sliding scales, but for co-occurring disorders there is only one public funded place in the whole state that accepts COD clients.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey Teach,

I can tell you that the area in which I live has incredible recovery programs.
I don't know about all of Wisconsin, but I do know my area.
I live in central wisconsin, almost right in the middle.
Ok, starting at detoxes, there are a few in the area, only some of them deal with drugs, I believe AALL of the hospitals deal with alcohol. There is a major hospital
about an hour away from my house, that is a detox and in patient treatment. It is a treamtnet hat lasts abround 30 days. Then you move into one of the sober houses
in the area, and there are more of those than I knew exhisted. I know of at least 4, just in my little area, and that's only the ones I know of, there are more. There is other hospitals in the area that do treatment, I just don't know alot about them.
The hospitals in our area have programs, soem are called =community care, and I'm not sure of all the names, but what the hospitals do is if they get someone with out ins. they 'write off" the hospital visit.. The whole thing most of the time if there is no job and no ins. I know that the first couple of treatments I was in at that fairly well known hospital, I had 2 different insurance companies, so they did like me, they knew I was a gold mine as far as insurance goes. But there were people there that had no ins. no jobs and they were treated exactly the same as I was, and given exactly what I was given, and it was a bit of a posh hospital, really.. I found that out when I went to a different hospital treatment center, wow what a difference. Most of the hospitals around here are Catholic hospitals, which really doesn't mean anything, they have a catholic church in the hospital, that's about it, otherwise as far as care, you wouldn't know it was Catholic. We just don't have any "free clinics" or Charity hospitals here. But we have state run day treatments and mental health centers, and sober houses, and we also have a dual diagnosis group I attend at the state run mental health facility. All the state run facilitis are very lienient on payments, they also have grants tto help pay bills for those with no inccome. Actually they have what's called a sliding fee scale, for paments for peopel with no money no ins. That pretty much means, of course, no payments..

Hope this helped...
Love, Becky