A Journey to Self Love

Old 11-12-2005, 10:16 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
I bite.

I didn't do an overnight trip but I did go for a hike today. It was my treat to myself.

I was on a section of the Appalachian Trail that I had never been on before. Part of it was rougher than I expected. With all the newly fallen leaves it was easy to turn my foot on the smalls rocks they concealed. But all went well for the most part.

I think I did a little over 9 miles and much of that was uphill. Despite only being about 60F, my clothing was quite damp with sweat. It was a good heart pounding workout. But I did take time to slow down and enjoy some views. I hiked from daylight into night. The waxing moon was high in the sky already and provided a good measure of light to hike by.

A good day to be alive. I did a lot of thinking about my life, where it's at now, and where I want to go.

Here are some pics!

Old 11-12-2005, 10:18 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
I bite.

Old 11-13-2005, 06:15 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Beautiful pics, Grim. We are having a perfect fall day here. Breezy and not too cool. I am bound and determined to get some things done. I talked to my sponsor last night, and we agreed on some things for me to do. It had been close to two weeks since I spoke with her!!!! I know one of the best things I can do for myself is stay productive. It is hard to feel good about yourself when all you do it sit on your butt all day.

(((((((((Phinny)))))))))))) Congratulations on your decision with your job. I wish I could quit my job!!! Seriously, though..... If I could find something to do to make enough money to live and also have time to do what I need to do with my daughter, I would be a much happier person. She has been out of physical therapy for almost 6 months now, and needs to be doing it, but I don't have the time!!! Maybe we would both be better off if I could just be a welfare mom. I don't know.....

Hugs to all--
Old 11-13-2005, 08:02 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Looks like a nice area to hike, Grim. It's been unusually warm for autumn here, but the cold is coming and I need to find something to replace my walking on the beach. Indoor gyms just don't appeal to me, but walking anywhere that is peaceful and pretty can keep me going for hours.

It's sunny today, so a walk is definitely in the plan. Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Hugs
Ann
Old 11-28-2005, 09:50 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

52 Weeks of Esteemable Acts, by Francine Ward

This book is about that fact that doing esteemable acts builds self-esteem. It's acting our way into right thinking, instead of trying to think our way into right acting.

1. Esteemable acts do not offer a quick fix. There is work to be done. You will get 52 weeks of work in 52 weks. And you will get out of the experience what you are willing to put into it. Over time, you will see a change.

2. Self-esteem is not the same as confidence. We mistakenly believe that if we are confident, are successful, and feel sure of ourselves, we will like who we are. This is a false assumption. While confidence may be an aspect of self-esteem, it is not the determining factor. Self-esteem comes from being in the game - making an effort - even if you feel unsure about your skills and abilities.

3. Self-esteem is not the destination. It's what happens to you along the way to living a courageous, purposeful, service-driven life. The destination is only a place; it's the journey along the way that builds character. It's what you make of your learning that defines how you feel about yourself.

4. Self-esteem comes from doing esteemable acts. You can't think your way into right living, you must act your way into right thinking. Self-esteem comes from behaving in ways that makes you feel good about yourself, which means being mindful of how you treat yourself AND how you treat others.

5. Walking through the fear is the key. Each time you overcome a challenge or complete a task you didn't think you could complete, you feel better about yourself. When you get to the other side, something magical takes place - a stronger, more empowered you is revealed.

This is the realization I have come to recently - the universe wants to give me all that I desire, all I could ever want or need. But I must do the work, take the actions to get it. I've been sitting, waiting, pining, thinking... about all of the wonderful things I want to feel and do and have. Well, that and a dollar will buy me a cup of coffee. It's up to me to do the next right thing (over and over again) in order to experience self-esteem, self-love, forgiveness, relief, joy, and freedom. I have kept myself locked in a cage of my own making - by perpetuating negative beliefs, thoughts and actions. It's time to break out of my self-imposed inertia. It's time for action.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:37 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
I bite.

Originally Posted by Phinneas
2. Self-esteem is not the same as confidence. We mistakenly believe that if we are confident, are successful, and feel sure of ourselves, we will like who we are. This is a false assumption. While confidence may be an aspect of self-esteem, it is not the determining factor. Self-esteem comes from being in the game - making an effort - even if you feel unsure about your skills and abilities.
I agree with this 100%!

5. Walking through the fear is the key. Each time you overcome a challenge or complete a task you didn't think you could complete, you feel better about yourself. When you get to the other side, something magical takes place - a stronger, more empowered you is revealed.
I have found this to be true as well. My problem has been that once I complete a challange, I stop to rest or something. I need to continue right onto the next issue and keep that "high" going.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:05 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I *love* what you've said here, Phinny. I seem to be on the same path as you are at the moment - this just rings so true for me. I think I asked on one of the boards here within the past few months if people thought the phrase "Fake it till you make it" would work for depression/lack of motivation/inertia as well as for alcoholism... and you nail it here. This is what I was getting at - can you change your thinking through action? I believe that the answer is, at least in part, yes. Trying to change my actions through thinking isn't getting me very far.

Thank you for this!

--anne
Old 11-28-2005, 03:37 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Morning Glory taught me this, that there comes a time where one can no longer hide from the pain or even step around it, but must face it head on and walk through it.

About a year ago was the darkest time of my life, and a time when I had come face to face with some very real yet incredibly painful possibilities...that I might never see my son again or my granddaughter...or that my son might die. No mother should ever have to walk through that pain, but I did and I survived and I came out the other side a stonger and better person for having done it. I don't believe I will ever be afraid to walk through pain again.

That sounds like a terrific book, Phinny, and I'm putting it on my shopping list.

Hugs
Ann
Old 11-29-2005, 10:21 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

((((Grimnar, Anne and Ann))))

Question of the day - Self Sabotage. How do you overcome or stop self sabotage?

I KNOW what I need to do. Really. Why then, aren't I doing it?!?

Ya know?

OK, family. Here's the deal. While I am waiting for your sage advice, I am going to JUST DO IT. I am getting up right now and I am going to work out and clean the house and do those little things on my To Do list for today. OK? OK.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:37 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Something that helps me, Phinny, when I find myself with time on my hands and a mind that is working overtime trying to keep the committee at bay...I make time for something special for about an hour or two, like a long walk or a trip to the library, or to meet a friend for coffee...anything that gets me out of the house, and gives me a change of scenery. It's just too darn easy to isolate.

Or...rearrange a room, you don't have to spend money redecorating, just change some things around, add some new pictures and make a special reading area or meditation spot with candles and music, that makes you feel good.

That's about all the sage I have right now, but it's a start, yes?

Hugs
Ann