Attention seeking but hold the manipulation!

Old 10-04-2005, 03:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Attention seeking but hold the manipulation!

So I'm calling it what it is - I feel tired, sick and worried. I have a lousy cold that's settled on my stomach (ie feel very icky!) so that has lots to do with it I know - but right now I still feel lousey.

Yesterday was a hard day, I was ill and we had two appointments, the second of which was with D's doc. D's doc refered him to the psychiatric team but they have refused to treat him on the basis that they're saying his drinking history means it's not their job. D's doc doesn't believe current symptoms are plausible to put down to drink since D stopped nearly two months ago with only a couple of one day slips in that time. His doc daren't change any meds because he doesn't feel qualified. The doctor will try to re-refer but told us yesterday that if that doesn't work we need to go to our MP (member of parliment) to try and force help.

D thinks the letter would sound very odd as he'd be introducing himself as needing psychiatric help and then would have to say why it's been refused. My god he's only just getting used to the idea he was referred, only just coming to terms with what happened. How do I support him to go and beg for help?

So call me what you want right now this is on my mind - it seems so inhumane, I'm at a loss how to expect it from anyone.

Ithink being off sick I have too much time and I feel very lonely with this. My best friend's are at work, my family are a nightmare, I can't dump on D.

I feel worried and so bloody ill! (bearing in mind I don't think I'm insane - just got a very fluey cold!).
Old 10-04-2005, 03:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

(((equus)))
I'm so sorry you are feeling ill, and more importantly, that D isn't getting the help he so needs. I've been through the same with my son; psychiatrists, social workers...all refusing to treat him because of his drug addiction. He's now been diagnosed as bipolar, and put on meds. All because he moved to another state. It's disgraceful that our loved ones are denied medical care because the politics of the medical community refuse to recognize dual diagnoses and treat it. Fight for what is right. Never give up hope. For Trevor, it was truely darkest before the dawn.
I hope you feel better soon. Take some chicken soup!
Shalom!
Old 10-04-2005, 03:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks HT, it's good to hear your son is getting the right help. We live in a county who's mental health system has been slammed for clinical incompetance (amongst other things!). My whole support network of friends are here, in D's home village the service is no better - perhaps worse being so rural. It stinks - it really does stink!
Old 10-04-2005, 04:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

equus-

Are you drinking lots of fluid? Does that sound like manipulation? I hope not...You know when our emotions run on overdrive it weakens the immune system and it is much more likely for one to catch a cold or flu. You probably do take vitamins but in case you don't at least think about taking something called OPCs which are extracted from grape seeds and/or maritime pine bark. OPCs are the most powerful anti-oxident around I personally perfer grape seed extract because I am allergic to pine.

I know several natural doctors who treat their patients who have depression and other mental health problems with OPCs along with diet and other herbs with good results.

The really effective OPCs should probably be purchased from a Naturepathic Doctor and some Chiropractors also sell them they can be fairly expencive but, they may be able to reckomend an effective over the counter brand...

Also a person who smokes burns up 25mg per cigareete of vitamin C if you can't afford OPCs at lest take 25mgs of vitamin C per cigareete that you smoke and it should help you some don't do chewables because they are hard on your teeth....
Old 10-04-2005, 07:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep - I'm drinking plenty of fluids but smoking a little too much!

I didn't mean manipulation in the repsonses, I meant I was attention seeking - but I figured if I was straight up about that I didn't have to woryy I was being manipulative (old old nightmare - I wake up and AM my mother!!).

We may yet have to take an alternative route but I'm not confident to play with fire in a hurry. It's not that I don't believe herbs can work - more the exact opposite, if they work you can get it wrong as easy as right. My problem is that I know enough to be mmega aware that I don't want to mess with it - I totally get whythe doc daren't change anything either.

I do feel a little btter for having had a sleep - we curled up and snoozed on the sofa for a couple of hours! D has been super nurse but I think he's now coming down with it too!