Powerful Meeting

Old 09-24-2005, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Powerful Meeting

No one has to die of this disease... but some do to remind us that this disease kills.

A woman in my Sat. meeting has over 20 years sober. Eight years ago she lost her oldest son to a heroin overdose. Last night her youngest son, who had been in and out of recovery for the last year or so, decided to go back out. He is now on life support in ICU with no brain activity. If there continues to be no brain activity in these next 24 hours, they will take him off life support.

Imagine the pain this woman feels right now. More than a human being can bear. I know that god does indeed give us more than we can handle. I know it because I've been in a place like that and I can't even fathom what she is going through in these hours. But I also know that the love of the people around her and the love of god is holding her up now.

And her son? I don't know. Maybe he doesn't have to suffer with this disease anymore. That's between him and god.

I just want to say that the love we alcoholics and addicts show each other - newcomer, old timer, young person, mature, black, white, pink, religion or no religion, gay, straight, Ford or BMW... well, there are honestly no words. That love is the miracle of recovery.

My community is rocked today. Those of us who are here right now or in a meeting or anyone who is sober in this moment, for that matter, are absolute, unequivicable, freakin' miracles. This disease kills, folks. Recovery is not a game.

Prayers to all who still suffer.

--phinny
Old 09-24-2005, 08:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

No words.
And an empty chair.
Thanks for sharing Phinny.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I am going to pray for the person's child that you mention. I believe if they can make me get a court order to keep my sick old and ailing grandmother on life support than they could keep my young son on for longer than 24 hours I am sorry but, that does not sound right to me it sounds really terrible...They must be fishing for organs or something. I will not let any of my children be organ donors and if one of them ends up on life support I will decide when to take them off not a doctor or health care plan. I had read some terrible things done to people who are organ donors.

This is something I obviously feel very strongly about. I know many people have bennifited from organ donation. I have also known some reciepiants who say that they wish they had not recieved an organ becuse of all the drugs they have to take and they felt something bad about the donor. I don't know....
Old 09-24-2005, 10:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

it does indeed kill phinneas - prayers to all!
Old 09-26-2005, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The young man who OD'd on Friday died last night. Yet another reminder that this disease kills.

Prayers go out to all who still suffer today. No one has to die....

--P
Old 09-26-2005, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dan

He ain't sufferin' no more...
(...)
Old 09-26-2005, 03:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Still hangin` on...

OMG!!!! Im crying just reading this post--I am so sorry.... It makes me think about what I put my poor mother through!!!!!! She has been through hell and back with me--and it seems the ride never ends for her!!! My brother is also an addict and had an overdose not too long ago--which brought ALOT of pain back into her life once again!!!! I relapsed (again) when that happened--not an excuse--just a fact. I swear shes aged 30 years in just a few months!!! I know that this is hereditary--and I cannot even begin to describe the fear I have waiting for this to become part of my childrens life! My oldest daughter (14) has already smoked pot--that I know of--even though she knows what drugs have done to my life. I am so scared---but what can I do--Ive been kinda honest with her--(never told her about the coke) but about what drugs have done to my life and how out of control I am when Im using. What else can a parent do??? If anyone knows--please let me know!!!!!1
Ann
Old 09-26-2005, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
new life

My Prayers Phinneas, Ann, I just watch a show on tv airing some kind of legal Caffeine spark booster drinks for youngsters......sad
God bless our children
Old 09-26-2005, 04:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Ditto to what everyone has already said. Terrible stuff to read.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Thoughts and prayers for all involved. So sad and such a waste. Of course, that young man's life need not be a waste if his story can help others to recover........
Old 09-26-2005, 09:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Thank you for the sobering (no pun intended) reminder that this disease kills, and that recovery is a life-or-death issue for alcoholics, addicts and their families.

Over the years in Al-Anon, I have known some beautiful people who have died as a direct result of this disease, and they were not alcoholics or substance-abusing addicts themselves (at least not to my knowledge). Two men that I knew for years in Al-Anon meetings took their own lives. In my opinion, one is too many. For the disease of alcoholism, a thousand is never enough...

I sometimes feel (and I may be wrong here) that there are those recovering in Al-Anon in my area who have an "oh-it's-not-that-bad-I-can-get-by-on-one-meeting-a-week-if-I-have-the-time" kind of approach to recovery. This is not an option for me. Just as alcoholism was a way of life in my home as I grew up, today recovery is the way of life that I choose.

Al-Anon is my anti-depressant, my anti-psychotic, my anti-"everything I learned growing up about self-abuse, self-hatred and slow self-destruction". If I don't take this life-saving medication as directed, with regularity, this disease will do its level best to kill me. That's what the disease of alcoholism does: it kills people affected by it. It does this with tenacity and precision. It refuses to stop, and it grows stronger with time. Move over Ah-nold---alcoholism is the real Terminator...

I once heard a woman share that "you don't have to drink alcohol to die from the disease of alcoholism". I can say it no better than that.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nocellphone
...sobering (no pun intended) reminder that this disease kills, and that recovery is a life-or-death issue for alcoholics, addicts and their families.
((((SR family))))

I just got back from a meeting / memorial service at my AA hall. I am certain we broke fire code with as many people came to express their grief and unite in support around the family. Someone brough 26 white helium balloons to represent his life and one black one to represent this disease. The balloons were released into the night sky afterward. It was poignant and beautiful.

Such a waste, my friends, such a waste.

I am grateful to be sober today. I am grateful for everyone here who, sober or not, has a chance.

--phinny
Old 09-27-2005, 02:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Coming into this discussion late... I'm so sorry Phinny. What a terrible, terrible waste. My prayers go out to his poor mother... and to all of you who were touched by his death.

I am so grateful to be sober *right now*. Thank you for sharing.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Prayers for all in this situation.
This disease does kill.