Terrible sight,venting---Trigger?

Old 09-14-2005, 07:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Terrible sight,venting---Trigger?

Working in a hospital I see many great stories and bad. Every once in awhile a case comes along that causes questions. And it just rips my heart out. They just brought a 5 year old girl to the operating room. She had been mauled by a dog. I had to leave the room but, must go back to do my job.
Her shoulder,neck and much of her face has been destroyed. I must gather strength and go back to help. Strange how a few feet can make such a difference. The next room over there is a 12 year old boy recieving a new lung. So much hope and so much dispair. They tell us not to get close but, how? Sometimes I question my decision going to a children's hospital. Today, one of my grandchilden Brittany turned 19. I remember her at the same age holding her and protecting her. Calling her my little movie star. God, I have a job to do but, some of them you make so difficult. I must go back to the room. I pray for strength. If you have kids hug them. Don W
Old 09-14-2005, 08:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kid hugged, Don.

And my prayers for both children will be at the top of my list tonight...
Old 09-14-2005, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Don W
They tell us not to get close but, how?
Your compassion is the reason why you are so very needed where you are, my friend. Take care of you and keep you heart open and strong.

hugs,

phinny
Old 09-15-2005, 12:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, I'm home now and feel better. Sometimes it's difficult to see the news stories up close and personal. I went back and helped finish the case. The boy with the lung transplant made it through fine. He isn't out of the woods but, so far the rejection has been low. The girl with the dog bite? Well, she made it through OK. We were able to stablize her and they did some pretty good work. I've been trying to focus on the fact that we have some of the best Plastic Surgeons in the country if not the world. Although a supporting role I am always amazed at what the doctors and technology can do today. She is lucky to be in the center of cutting edge medicene. It is hard to always be strong when dealing with things like this. It is one thing to deal with illness but, shaken babies and abused children is realy difficult. Of course my PTSD could play a role in this. Myself and others on SR have experenced these traumas and I see the effects years later. I'll keep you posted on both their progress. Don W
Old 09-15-2005, 12:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Don

Life happens and many times we feel the pain for others.
I am grateful there are people who care as you do. If it was my child, I would want a person who cares, as such a person will try harder and help more.

thank you
Old 09-15-2005, 03:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Life!

(((Don)))
Thank you for being there with those children....They need you, as do their parents.
Thanks for your heartfelt care given so freely to those children and their families.
You're a good man, Don...
Shalom!
Old 09-15-2005, 03:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bless you Don...truly. I cannot imagine the strength it takes to do what you do. But I admire you..and thank God for people like you in this world.
Special prayers for all our children in this world.
Hope
Old 09-15-2005, 06:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don, I just want to tell you that I live in the Boston area and while I do not know exactly where you work or what you do, I'm guessing it's Children's. Children's and and very possibly you personally, saved my son's life, and I thank you for that.

Your kindness and empathy keep me coming back here, too. God has blessed you with a gift, and your gift has touched me. - Gobi
Old 09-15-2005, 10:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, My old method was to go drinking to deal or should I say numb the pain. Gobi, it is Children's and before that BI. This was that Cape Cod girl on the news. Hey, today is a new day and you and myself have a new chance to make a difference.
God bless you all, he's blessed me with you. Don W