Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > All About Recovery > What is Recovery?
Reload this Page >

Everything changes - what works from a secular approach part 2

Old 09-11-2005, 08:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have paid close attention to behavioral patterns, thoughts and beliefs in recovery and I have noticed that as long as I do the right thing, to the best of my ability, things get better.

If I dont drink then I get to do things that I never could invisage doing. I start takign on more and more responsibility. I see the world as not just a place full of bars and different type of drugs. I see that people are far more complex and interesting than the drinking pals or sex partners I once thought they were. I realise that when I was drinking I thought I new everything. Now, realising that I know just a little bit, there is so much vast mental space and physical space that has yet to be explored.

Fears are things that I have come to accept as important parts of my personality - they drive me, propel me, they make me laugh when they are gone, and they make me feel alive when I exprience them - they are, mostly, parts of my growth into better things. I dont want them to grow, or to worsen, but then I wouldnt want them totally out of my life. I need fear to understand what peace is.

I dont drink - no matter what, and I attend SoS in my heart, but not physically; there bottom line is: DONT DRINK NO MATTER WHAT. They have twenty years of time now. AA has helped me in some ways: it gave me education and woke me up to the dangers of my drinking - it is also filled with fantastic people.

I have emotional aspects that I focus on - having suffered from anxiety and depression. This worsened in sobriety but are now much improved. I owe this to the UK's mental health service (free of charge! sorry yanky folk), anti depressents, and CBT which is an endless tool for change and self exploration.

Recovery from alcoholisim can be done - for crook and by hook.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Us Brits do knock our Health service, think its a national sport!

I have to give them a commendation for the way they treated my fiancé this time.
The NHS Clinic facilities were BUPA class (Top Private service) you couldn't have wished for better. The medical staff were second to none and the Head of the facility is a top flight psychiatrist as well as being an expert in treating alcohol dependence. All free!
My fiancé is finding that making sure he has his body's optimum nutritional needs catered for is helping him immensely to stay sober; and taking natural anti-depressant supplements.
He also believes in 'Know your Enemy'
He's only been sober for two months now but he says this time feels different; he says he feels more capable of staying strong than he has before.
Like you Millwallj' he has regained his zest for life.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thats encouraging for me to suz.