Reachable Goals

Old 08-16-2005, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reachable Goals

So many times we set ourselves up for failure with unreachable goals. However, we also set reachable goals and proceed to place roadblocks in our path. Many times these roadblocks are simply thoughts based on the idea that we can read other's minds and tell the future. We eliminate ourselves before giving us a chance. Example, has anybody wanted a job or promotion but, decided they wouldn't give it to us? So, we didn't even apply. There were a few times I was asked why, and was told they would have picked me. This works with recovery also. We set a goal of never drinking again. We're told to focus on one day. We don't even try the one day. Why? because we set the roadblock of thinking we can't stop for the rest of my life. Anybody else identify? I can't stop drinking because my wife Debby won't believe me. (mind reader) It's August, I can't stop drinking, when I go to the company Christmas Party, (December), everyone will look at me ( see into future) or, they will look at me and think poorly of me ( see into future and read minds.) What will you do, after 4 months the person or persons used for a roadblock are not at the party. Leave reading minds and predicting the future to the psychics. Set a small goal. Then surround yourself with the things that will make it possible. To quote one of my favorite people, Walt Disney. If you can dream it, it's possible. I'd just like to add, close your eyes and dream of recovery. Now picture yourself sober in the morning. Need help? If you're reading this you've got it. There are thousands of us here on SR, all time zones. I'm here till 11pm (est). Why would we spend the night helping you reach your goal? Maybe you'll learn our goal. Don W