Just a thought

Old 08-15-2005, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just a thought

for new and old. I've been watching a PBS special. The person mentioned something that hit home. He mentioned that if you wanted to do something, picture yourself as it. Identify? Trying to stop drinking I pictured myself as a drunk trying to be sober. Using his method we should picture ourselves as sober. Before we picked up that first drink we were sober. Can't think of anything? Find some baby pictures. Many of my past failed attempts were predestined by thoughts of past failed attempts. I've always wanted to feel good, I understand now that I really want to be good. This might not be the answer for everyone, nothing is. However, how about you. Yes you, this is directed at you. OK! if you can identify, then your the one I was looking for. Don W
Old 08-15-2005, 05:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Who ME?

This is more than the power of positive thinking, yes? I have something in mind, something I've always wanted to do but haven't done, so I am going to visualize myself as the person who has done it with great success!! Can't share what it is, but WHEN I am successful (note I didn't say "if", LOL) then you will know this works.

Thanks Don, I needed that nudge to get going on this.

Hugs
Ann
Old 08-15-2005, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Remember that movie..."Field of Dreams"?
"If you build it, he will come."
You have to see it and believe in it.
Faith and belief are very powerful.
They are the tools we use to make our dreams come true.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Anne and Gabe, I don't know how it works but, it did. Today I even used it for work. Work has been a difficult place the last month. I pictured myself going to work handling everything well and a wall melting between myself and a difficult person. Would you believe it, he and I had the best most civil conversation and interaction in the 2 years I've been here. I can't think of the guys name but, he is a motivational speaker on PBS. He even mentioned, although not alcoholic, asking and thanking God to keep from drinking. Simply because he was told his body would be better without it. Somebody might know his name. He is on during fund raising alot. He really pushes the
" Learning bad lessons and thoughts about ourselves." He made one shocking point. A child (us?) by the age of 12 has seen over 300,000 simulated murders on TV and in the movies. Scary HUH? I'll post his name so you can watch for him. Don W
Old 08-15-2005, 06:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Don...

That's actually a mountain bike technique...
When one is suddenly confronted with a tricky ride situation... they say to instantly picture oneself completing the section.... and generally.. the body and mind will meld and work together to make it happen...

It's all split second stuff... but... I've tried it.. and it really works...

Amazing minds we have...