Freedom

Old 07-24-2005, 04:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Freedom

You are reading from the book Today's Gift.

I had crossed the line. I was free; but there was no one to welcome me to the land of freedom. I was a stranger in a strange land.
--Harriet Tubman

Harriet Tubman was a Black woman who devoted her life to helping slaves escape their bondage. In her youth, she had been hit on the head so she suffered dizzy spells for the rest of her life. In spite of this, and at great risk to her own life, she guided many slaves on the Underground Railroad to freedom.

Freedom from slavery is different today but just as necessary. It may mean freedom from being a slave to what others think of us, freedom from eating more than is healthy for us, freedom from jealousy, and freedom from trying to force others to do what we want them to do.

We are free to be the very best persons we can be. Our own freedom can be even more fulfilling when we welcome others enthusiastically into that land of freedom by allowing them the room to be themselves without fear of judgment. In this way, by freeing ourselves, we free one another.

How can I free myself today?
Old 07-24-2005, 04:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It may mean freedom from being a slave to what others think of us, freedom from eating more than is healthy for us, freedom from jealousy, and freedom from trying to force others to do what we want them to do.

We are free to be the very best persons we can be. Our own freedom can be even more fulfilling when we welcome others enthusiastically into that land of freedom by allowing them the room to be themselves without fear of judgment. In this way, by freeing ourselves, we free one another.
When I am true to myself, to my principles and values, it no longer matters what people think of me or how I am judged. My friend Gooch taught me this a long time ago, and today I understand what he meant.

Hugs
Ann
Old 07-25-2005, 11:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

that's absolutely true. Abraham Lincoln said "when I do good, i feel good When I do bad, i feel bad. It's all about being true to yourself.