Problem with Gratitude and Humility

Old 07-18-2005, 01:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Problem with Gratitude and Humility

Hi everyone. Thanks for being here. I've been in a funk lately and haven't been able to figure out why. My sponser told me to make a gratitude list. Which I didn't do. It weighed on my mind that I haven't sat down to write a list. I realized last night that I can't make a list. I go blank. I'm not gratefull!! I've been around long enough to know that this isn't a safe place to be. I don't know what to do now. How do I get rid of my ego and become gratefull to a power greater then me for all the gifts in my life? My mind tells me "you busted you a$$ for this house and car etc.... No one helped you." I didn't even realize that I stopped praying! I know I need to read Step3. I know I have to bring this up at meetings. I need to learn gratitude and humility.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

hello Jaguar, hugs to you
Preceeding step 3 is steps 1 & 2. I must do all these steps everyday. My sponsor told me when i'm doing step 2 i must believe that He will resotre me to sanity. I must believe that what I pray for will come to be. So, I say thankyou ahead of time. I must have faith in the process.
If you didn't pick up that first one yesterday, be grateful. We have so many things really to be grateful for. Life itself, breathe, moving limbs, the ability to think, love , laugh and smile. Even for the ability to cry and feel pain. If I didn't feel a pinch then I wouldn't feel a kiss.
Someone once told me "Don't complicate a rain drop". As an addict i can complicate the simplest of things. I can over-analyze EVERYTHING. I procrastinate like there's no tomorrow. And that's just it. Do I know if I even have a tomorrow? That's why I must look after today. That alone has me grateful.
When my ego is on fast forward I forget gratitude and humility. I gotta feed my spirit.
The fact that you are posting this tells me you must have some humility
I'm grateful you are here with us!
Keep asking questions, thats how we learn. If i'm not learning then i'm not growing.
hugs, Wendy
Old 07-18-2005, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

:Lmao I just got off the phone with Faery Queen and she told me the exact same thing !!! I need to make a gratitude list...I have been in a funk too with my job.
I go to work and I'm like whatever...I don't care what gets done or don't I just DON"T care and I really as a single Mom CAN NOT afford to stay in this funk !!

OK

Let's work on a list together Jaguar ..I'll say 2 or 3 then you come up with 2 or 3

1. I'm grateful because I get a check at the end of each week to buy groceries
2. I'm grateful I work at a job where I have time to come to SR for emotional support.
3.I'm grateful because a year and a half a go me and my son had nothing but the clothes on our back when I left his addict father and now my son has pretty much everything he needs
Old 07-18-2005, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Wantneeda. I'm gratefull to be here.
Ok Babeekj....it's my turn. I'm gratefull for the ability to work so I could buy my home. How's that? I'm gratefull for SR...without it I'd be nuts in the middle of the day when I need to be near some sobriety.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alright Jaguar !!!! See we can do this !!

Ok I am grateful I am not somewhere I am beaten any more and that me and my son are safe

I am grateful that I learned I can do things on my own ( such as get a job and pay bills and take care of Colby(my 3 year old) by myself)
Old 07-18-2005, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just stopped in quick to read. However, I also believe making a graditude list would be good for me. Thanks for the idea. Don W
Old 07-19-2005, 08:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lightbulb

I too am gratefull to not be in an abusive relationship anymore. I was in it for so long that I began to believe that if they didn't hit you they must not REALLY love you. Imagine that!!
I'm also gratefull for the new friends I've made. I never had a true friend before. This is a totally new experience....a true gift.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am also grateful for the friends I have ( when I was with my ex he made sure I was isolated) I have made the most wonderful friends here and on my job
I also started to believe that Jaguar...If he wasn't beating me sometimes it felt like he was ignoring me

I am grateful for the fact I can get up and go to the store at 4 in the morning if that is what I want to do and don't have to fight anybody (LOL when we first split up I used to do that every other night just because I could)

I am grateful that I no longer have to hide my money or worry about it getting stolen

I am grateful that I have a place where I can relax and not worry about what's going to happen next

I am grateful that I don't have to live with the lies and heartaches day in and day out anymore
Old 07-21-2005, 08:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Babeekj, I am gratefull that you asked me to make this list with you. We see to have experienced some of the same things. It's good for me to know that I'm not the only one. Thank you.
Today, I'm gratefull for my Higher Power. I was so exhausted when I thought I had to be in charge all the time. It is such a relief to hand the reigns over to someone else. Someone wiser and more powerfull then even me.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm glad I met you to Jaguar.

Let's see on the lighter side ( but I really do mean this ) I am grateful my boss is going to be gone for most the day today LOL

I am grateful for my children

I am grateful that it does become easier over time...I remember not too long ago when I was thinking it never would get better
Old 07-21-2005, 11:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm gratefull that we have a place like Alcoholics Anonymous to come too. Most of my life I felt like the square peg, the outsider, the black sheep. Here I'm just like everyone else. I fit...perfectly.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'M GRATEFUL FOR DR PEPPER ...COULDN'T MAKE IT A DAY WITHOUT IT..LMAO
I am also grateful that I can laugh again
Old 07-21-2005, 01:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Can I join in? I've been in a funk recently, too. I am grateful for Sober Recovery and also for my recovery group. I can't do it alone and without my friends (on-line and face-to-face) I wouldn't be sober today.

Thanks for starting this awesome thread, Jaguar!

ChrisMan
Old 07-21-2005, 01:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Heck yea join in ChrisMan.
Maybe you can throw in somethings that we are forgetting too ..
Old 07-22-2005, 06:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Chrisman...glad you're here!
Today I'm gratefull that I took a moment to enjoy the birds. I love the bright colors...the Cardinal, BlueJay and the Golden Finch. I saw them today with child-like eyes. It was very exciting.
I'm also gratefull that it's payday! I can get some bills paid this week.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am glad it's pay day too also very very very glad it's Friday.
I am extremly grateful that I will get to sleep late tommorow
Old 07-26-2005, 06:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am gratefull for my sponser. I was asked by a newcomer to be their sponser. I know the old me would have been filled with ego and pride. I spoke to my sponser about this and I felt humble, caring and ready to give of myself so that I can stay sober. WOW....what a difference.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

How awesome Jaguar !!!
Old 07-26-2005, 07:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow, I got goosebumps reading this fabulous thread! I am consistently amazed at the beautiful and sincere things people in recovery can say to each other, and how simple the solution is... I entered this thread needing humitly and gratitude as well, and I must say I am grateful for people who feel the same way I do and are willing to share with others how it works for them. Thankyou Jaguar and Babeekj for showing me that being thankful is an excellent way to get back in touch with spirituality and well-being!
Old 07-26-2005, 12:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Your welcome Litework...why don't you add along with us??
I'm grateful that I have finally got it through my head that I don't have to go through this stuff by myself and I am learning to depend on the right people as well as myself instead of the addict in my life