Suicide or Recovery?

Old 06-14-2005, 08:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suicide or Recovery?

Well,
Here I am.
Getting ready to go into Suboxone Detox next week.
I have been a Norco, Poppy Tea Addict for 6 years.

Is there really a life after addiction? And how hard is the Suboxone treatment?

Last edited by sloth_meister; 06-14-2005 at 08:36 PM. Reason: inserted sig...
Old 06-14-2005, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by sloth_meister
Is there really a life after addiction?
YES!!

Welcome to SR, Sloth_Meister! Love that moniker! Have you tried Narcotics Anonymous? It works for me.

As far as the Suboxone goes, from what I have read around here, it sounds like the "easiest" way to detox other than the ultra-rapid which is $$$$$. Someone else will probably be along to tell you all about it.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-14-2005, 08:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You may want to read this post, too.Best wishes!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-15-2005, 12:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey there Sloth, my name is Becky, I am a drug addict, with a long term addiction to pain meds, I did/tried almost all pain meds. I have been a a long roller coaster ride of recovery/relapse/recovery/relaspse.... you get it..
I never made it long, when I either got to depressed due to not feeling well, yet a couple months into it, or just not being able to handle it after a few days into detox, 've pretty much been through it all. I would relapse to feel better.
This time, I finally found a suboxone doctor, and believe me if you found a sub. doctor that can help you, be very grateful, they are very hard to find, or get into see. Due to government regulations on the suboxone, the doctors are limited to a certain amount of patients, and there just aren't that many sub. docotrs yet. So, when I found the doctor, I was unsure about whether I should go on the sub. due to some people believing we aren't really clean if we are on the sub. But I decided, after some talks with my drug/alcohol counselor, that it doesn't matter what others think. I needed to do, what I need to do.. My recovery is up to me. doesn't matter if others feel differently.
So, I started the suboxone, oh, about maybe 6 weeks or so ago. Not sure on the date. But I CAN tell you, that it has been the BEST decision I have made!!! The suboxone has helped me immensly (sp?)
I have now been drug free for 9 weeks, and I am doing VERY well. I DO know the suboxone has really made a differnce for me. I also undwerstand that I will have to go off it though at soem point, I think 3-6 months. But I am not thinking about that, the only concern I have right now is working on myself,/ my recovery TODAY. I am doing better than I have ever done. I have basically No cravings. I could not believe it could take the cravings away, but it has, for me. Not that every once in a while, when things get tough, the old thinking of I wish I were numb, and did not have to handle this crap, does happen. But not to often. I got myself into a whole lot of trouble through the years of using, and I ma now, trying to sort through all the problems I caused myself. So yes that is tough. But I have to work things out, and learn how to handle my problems better, so when I do go off the sub. I am better equipped to handle life on life's terms.
I really have nothing but good things to say about what suboxone has done for ME. Let us know how your doing, we post alot on the substance abuse forum, about suboxone, and how we are doing... Might want to check some of those posts out. There is some good info there.
Now, this is MY experience, I hope no one gets angry about anything I typed. I'm sorry if you do.
Keep us posted please...
We care, Love Becky
Old 06-15-2005, 01:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Welcome.

I know how you feel.When neither alternative sounds great. A good time to start recovery, ( believe it or not ). I have been off drugs for a while now, qnd there is a wonderful freedom in it. I wish you the best with your detox.Congradulations on your decision to live.
Bless,Trish
Old 06-15-2005, 06:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Thanks for sharing, Becky! See, sloth_meister, I told you someone would be along!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-15-2005, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not only is there life in recovery, but life is BETTER! I'm an alcoholic and a drug addict and the first few months of my recovery were really tough, I wanted to drink or use just about all the time. But today, at a mere 11 months sober, I'm really starting to change, to look at the world differently, and to look at my problems differently. It takes a constant effort, but not nearly the effort I spent staying high or drunk. And I have so much energy to do the things I've always wanted to do. I'm going on a backpacking trip next week in the Colorado Rockies for 7 days -- something I could never manage to get to when I was using. Sobriety is a wonderful gift. Just keep coming back and it gets better.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

Hi Sloth! Please give the Sub a chance. I totally agree with Becky's post. Sub saved my life. I was a long-time opiate abuser and after trying and failing to quit time and time again, I did a little research and found a Sub doc. Like Becky stated, they're not easy to find in some regions, but they are out there. The Sub gave me my life back, cleared my head, and took away the cravings, so now I can concentrate on putting my life back together and finding support through my NA family.

Feel free to PM me any time if you need to talk. I'll tell ya anything you'd like to know about Sub. Good luck!