Wow, physically cannot stop drinking

Old 06-12-2005, 10:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wow, physically cannot stop drinking

Never got to this stage before, skin all red everywhere, get itchy crawlie and angry, irritated. Getting tough to get to work and my "therapist". Is there a point, folks, where it is just impossible or what? It hurts really, really bad to stop drinking, kind of feel like want to quit but cannot, and on the other hand, want to drink myself into death. My shrink chick keeps harping about AA and stuff, but I believe in nothing, makes me feel bad to even think about it.

Doomed, woot, like a cartoon villian.

heh, say something nice, even if you don't mean it, the attention getting device is on. Or better, say something evil.

How in the hell do you people do it? I wonder if anyone has ever been as big a drunk as me. My blood comes out carbonated, I swear, type Miller Light. I really think I am done, like liver fall out on the floor done. Sucks, I am only 33, brilliant, waste of life.

Dan the sad
Old 06-13-2005, 12:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, Dan, I like your writing style.
We quit, in spite of significant discomfort and irritability, because we come to a belief that drinking has worse consequences than sobriety. So even if being sober is itchy, we're cranky as hell, everyone irritates us (including the people who are suggesting recovery groups), and we feel like we've wasted our life--even in the face of all that, we decide that drinking is worse.
Of course, it's easier if we start to work on the reasons that we drank in the first place. If we can remember them.
The good news is that the longer you go without drinking, the less intense the urges. And there are tools you can learn that make it easier to get through those urges. Which WILL pass.
If you don't want to do AA, ask your shrink chick (I'll bet she really likes that term) about cognitive behavioral approaches to sobriety. I use SMART Recovery. You can learn more in general about behavioral approaches at the Ellis Institute web site:
http://rebt.org/
Some of the info there might help you get over the anger and low frustration tolerance I am sensing in your post....

For more information on various recovery groups, here's a link which compares them and provides links to their sites:

http://rrci.net/recovery_spectrum.htm

I won't say something nice or something evil. I'll just say that change is possible.
Take care, and keep posting,
Don S
Old 06-13-2005, 03:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Doug

Hey Dan,

Getting "stopped" is the first thing to do, and it sounds like you may need some help with that, doctor or rehab help. Besides being tough to do alone, it can feel impossible, and it can be dangerous, dangerous as in fatal.

There are alot of options regarding the aftercare/recovery, theres something for everybody out there, outside of AA.

Stopping stops feeling impossible, one we become willing to do something, anything, to get sober.

And then we deal with staying sober.