Gamblers Anonymous

Old 06-07-2005, 04:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gamblers Anonymous

I haven't seen this site on here. Though I'm not afflicted with this aspect of our disease, I know many who are.
http://www.gamblersanonymous.org/

And for those in the UK:
http://www.gamblersanonymous.org.uk/
Old 06-07-2005, 05:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Golden, Addition to alcohol in my case was connected to gambling. When drinking I would play the lottery out of desperation to replace bill and house money I spent. I even used gambling as a way to justify my drinking. I would be down to my last few dollars. I'd be ready to head home. Then, I'd hit a winner and have money to drink. Then the statement, " Hey, if God didn't want me to drink, he wouldn't have provided this money. I got trapped after stopping for awhile. I've also heard other Veterans talk about it. We used gambling as a replacement for booze or drugs. I agree with what I've been told that people that have addictions in most cases apply it to their whole life. By that they mean, many times we are work-aholics, spend-aholics etc.
I myself, gone unchecked will over do most anything. Also, I know of people that have had the exact same results from gambling. The losses, the stealing, the heart break. There is a Veteran I know that told us he gambled all the retirement money he and his wife spent a lifetime saving. They now both live in a nursing home, seperate ones at that. Don W
Old 06-07-2005, 06:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Gambling addiction is a terrible curse. My ex is a gambler. He almost lost our home twice. Now, what was once his family home is mine. I bought him out. And he went through all the money in less than a year. Sad...He now has nothing; works two jobs and picks up handyman jobs when he can, and is still always broke.
There is a program for him. He just won't admit the problem....
Sounds too much like my son there....
Shalom!