Letting Others Grow

Old 06-04-2005, 04:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Letting Others Grow

You are reading from the book Today's Gift.

"Oh, 'tis love, 'tis love, that makes the world go round! Somebody said," Alice whispered, "that it's done by everybody minding their own business. Ah well! It means much the same thing."
--Lewis Carroll

No one helps a caterpillar become a butterfly. First it must crawl through the leaves as a many-legged creature, and then it weaves its own cocoon. Nature does its slow, daily work inside the cocoon and one day a butterfly emerges--and each butterfly is a different shape and color. No other creature can step in and speed up this process without hurting the butterfly.

Sometimes we humans confuse love with playing the part of God. We think we can speed up the natural growth of people around us. We interfere by telling them to do what we think best.

Sometimes the greatest love we can offer is to accept our loved ones the way they are. We need to remember that each caterpillar weaves a cocoon in its own time and becomes a butterfly in its own way. The wisdom of the universe is greater than our own.

How will I show my acceptance of others today?
Old 06-04-2005, 04:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Sometimes we humans confuse love with playing the part of God. We think we can speed up the natural growth of people around us. We interfere by telling them to do what we think best.
I am so guilty of doing this and really needed to read this today. When someone I love is struggling with their own growth or is not taking the path that I think they need to take, I too often think it is a loving thing to do to encourage them along, to try to make shortcuts for them and to think that I know what is best for them. Wrong, dead wong. My intentions may be good, but their path is not mine to choose. The codie in me doesn't want to see anyone I care about struggle or hurt, but today the recovery in me tells me that interfering robs them of their own journey and growth.

Amen to every word of that.

Hugs
Ann