SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   What is Recovery? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/what-recovery/)
-   -   Steps to a Healthy Relationship (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/what-recovery/60615-steps-healthy-relationship.html)

Petunia 05-31-2005 08:51 AM

Steps to a Healthy Relationship

There are important steps I need to take if I want new relationships to last.

I need to allow a new relationship to grow in a healthy way by giving it the time it needs. When I go too fast in a relationship, necessary stages are overlooked, and I might find myself in a relationship destined to fail. When trees are planted and their roots aren't given enough time to grow deeply into the soil, they're sure to fall during a storm. When the roots are given time to grow slowly, strongly, and deeply, they will most likely weather any storm.

Relationships can be similar, because when they're taken too quickly, they're likely to fail at the first sign of difficulty. But if given the time to grow, they will withstand the winds of turmoil and crisis. If I meet someone I want to be with, I can care for our relationship by not going too fast. I will remind myself that a tree needs tender care and nurturing to grow and flourish, not fertilizers and chemicals that force it to grow faster.

Today I will take care of my new relationship by understanding what it takes to make it strong and lasting.

From the book Time to Fly Free by Judith R. Smith

Kahlia 05-31-2005 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Petunia
There are important steps I need to take if I want new relationships to last.

I need to allow a new relationship to grow in a healthy way by giving it the time it needs. When I go too fast in a relationship, necessary stages are overlooked, and I might find myself in a relationship destined to fail. When trees are planted and their roots aren't given enough time to grow deeply into the soil, they're sure to fall during a storm. When the roots are given time to grow slowly, strongly, and deeply, they will most likely weather any storm.

Relationships can be similar, because when they're taken too quickly, they're likely to fail at the first sign of difficulty. But if given the time to grow, they will withstand the winds of turmoil and crisis. If I meet someone I want to be with, I can care for our relationship by not going too fast. I will remind myself that a tree needs tender care and nurturing to grow and flourish, not fertilizers and chemicals that force it to grow faster.

Today I will take care of my new relationship by understanding what it takes to make it strong and lasting.

From the book Time to Fly Free by Judith R. Smith

AMEN, Petunia....I so agree. Relationshipe are WORK. Kahlia

Ann 05-31-2005 03:27 PM

Great words, Petunia. And I will add that it takes many elements for a relationship to flourish. Honesty, respect, trust, and honour are like the good soil, rain, sunshine and clean air it takes for the tree to become strong. If any one of these elements is missing or out of balance, it cannot survive.

Thank you for the reminder.

Hugs
Ann

2nd2drugs 05-31-2005 04:58 PM

so true!!!