Memorial Day

Old 05-25-2005, 06:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Lightbulb Memorial Day

If you would, please take time to say a prayer for all the men and women that have died fighting for our freedom. please keep in mind the people on here that have family serving as well.

thanks

chris

Originally called Decoration Day after the Civil War (1861-1865), Memorial Day has been a day for Americans to remember all U.S. men and women killed or missing in action in all wars. The American tradition of Memorial Day began more than 100 years ago. It was at the end of a brutal war, a war in which brother fought brother and the best of friends became the worst of enemies. It was the Civil War, one of the worst wars ever fought by the people of this nation, and it was fought on our own soil. It is believed that Memorial Day began when two Civil War veterans saw a woman and her two children decorate the grave of a fallen soldier with flowers. At the end of this war this became a familiar site as family members of the many soldiers slain in battle would visit the grave sites of their fallen relatives or friends and decorate their graves with flowers. In 1868, General John Logan, commander-in-chief of the Grand Army of the Republic, ordered that the 30th day of May be designated for the purpose of decorating graves of the war dead. General James Garfield spoke at the first national observance of Decoration Day on May 30, The northern states celebrated this day every year, but the southern states celebrated a day similar to this on a different day until sometime after World War I. In 1882, the name Decoration day was changed to Memorial Day, and in 1968 Memorial Day was declared a national holiday to be held on the last Monday of May every year. The modern celebration of Memorial Day is similar to the original celebration, but today we have expanded upon the original idea.

Today, Memorial Day is a time of the year when people come together to honor their close friends or relatives who have died. It is still very much about honoring America's fallen service men and women. such as in gatherings at places like the Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia to visit such moving tributes as the tomb of the unknown soldier, which represents "every man" who with bold patriotism layed down their life for this country. It is a day to celebrate and thank all people who died to create the freedom we enjoy today. This day of memorial is something ingrained in our culture, and in - every culture of the world - a tribute, to honor the people who embodied the dreams and the passionate fire of an entire country. Parades, tributes, special memorial services are held throughout the land. Memorial weekend, has become in more recent times, also a time for the beginning of the summer season. Families go for picnics, open their cottages, plant their flowers, and begin their "weekend vacations".
Old 05-25-2005, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It Is What It Is

Thanks Chris for reminding us that this holiday is not just a "paid day off" from work, or a reason to go to the lake, etc...

"Freedom isn't Free"
Old 05-25-2005, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hey i don't know a lot about USA history though I salute the one's who died for a cause they believed in.

indigo
Old 05-25-2005, 08:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My prayers of gratitude for all who have fought for freedom and to serve their country. My country is a safer place, thanks to my American friends. Thank you.

Hugs
Ann
Old 05-26-2005, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sweet Sounds of Heaven

To all our fallen hero's who fought for our Freedom & those who are fighting now,
I salute you. My prayers are with you always.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3659716-M.jpg (23.2 KB, 632 views)
Old 05-26-2005, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
It Is What It Is

Our Heroes, America's Best

They come from all walks of life,
Never seeking tribute for doing what was thought right,
Just going forward regardless the danger's rife,
Knowing that ultimate fate could come any day or night.
These are the ones who came to sow,
Seeds of freedom, liberty, justice and more,
To a new land many years ago,
That became what all who declared and fought for.

These are the ones who bled,
In the wars against tyranny,
Leaving the battlefields stained red,
Oh, so young and many.

These are the ones who protect,
From fire, disaster, and the lawless,
Going wherever to detect,
Keeping our country safe from duress.

These are the ones who explore,
Beyond earth's reach,
Into the stars they soar,
Allowing our dreams to go beyond the breach.

All are what make our country proud,
Passing the honor, duty, and courage test,
Making it easy to praise them loud,
As they are our heroes, America's best!

By David G. Bancroft
Old 05-26-2005, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank You for the inspiring words. I can't tell you how important it is for those serving and having served to hear words of thanks. I marched for years in the parades and watched not only the marches but the spectators dwindle. Because of todays world I'm happy to say that the tributes are returning. I can no longer march due to the trigger possibilities. However, I've been collecting books and clothes for hospitalized Veterans. Many have little or no family. Those with addiction problems are admitted in many cases with the clothes on their back. You can call your local VA Hospital and ask for the Volunteer Office. They will provide a list of needs. Under law they are not allowed to ask for donations. Anyhow, just a prayer will do. Thanks, Don W Vietnam Veteran
Old 05-26-2005, 09:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don,

thanks for serving our country.

We may always question our leaders who serve but, we can never question the honor of the men willing to fight. You make us proud for being on this site
Old 05-26-2005, 09:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The Torch is Passed

President John F. Kennedy, ca. 1960-1963
Buy this Art Print at AllPosters.com

Man holds in his mortal hands the power to abolish all forms of human poverty and all forms of human life. And yet the same revolutionary beliefs for which our forbearers fought are still at issue around the globe -- the belief that the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.

We dare not forget today that we are the heirs of that first revolution. Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans -- born in this century, tempered by war, disciplined by a hard and bitter peace, proud of our ancient heritage -- and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those human rights to which this nation has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at home and around the world.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty...

In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been granted the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shrink from this responsibility -- I welcome it. I do not believe that any of us would exchange places with any other people or any other generation. The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavor will light our country and all who serve it -- and the glow from that fire can truly light the world.

And so, my fellow Americans; ask not what your country can do for you -- ask what you can do for your country.

My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.

Finally, whether you are citizens of America or citizens of the world, ask of us here the same high standards of strength and sacrifice which we ask of you. With a good conscience our only sure reward, with history the final judge of our deeds, let us go forth to lead the land we love, asking His blessing and His help, but knowing that here on earth God's work must truly be our own.

John F. Kennedy
Old 05-28-2005, 11:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi there, I thought keeping this thread alive through Monday at least would be a very good appropriate thing to do. We owe so much thanks to those fighting the war so we can continue to live our lives as free as possible. So I would like to thank those fighting now, as well as those who have fought in all other wars for our freedom, WE OWE IT ALL TO YOU!!!! THANKS for having so much courage. Love, Becky
Old 05-28-2005, 11:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

far 2 many of us just c it as a 3 day weekend
Old 05-28-2005, 11:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Yes I agree. I guess I did too. But I think the present war is a reminder to us. It is sad that we ever forget, when so many of those live with the images of war in their heads everyday. Thanks again, Love, becky
Old 05-29-2005, 12:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In gratitude for those who have served...
In memory of those who have fallen...
Old 05-29-2005, 10:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sweet Sounds of Heaven

Don W., since I can't give you a hug in person, this will have to do (((((Don)))))

I just want you to know that I am very thankful for men like you who serve our country.