Addiction?

Old 05-09-2005, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction?

Can you become addicted to OTC drugs like Tylenol PM? Several years ago I started taking them and made myself sick from taking so many. I was taking 12 a night in the end. Still couldn't sleep!! I gave it up 5 years ago but I never really though I had an addiction. The other night I was having trouble sleeping and I took 2. The first time in all of those. Should I try to always stay away from them or if I do it in moderation on rare occasion is that ok?
Old 05-09-2005, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by kimmyf1965
Can you become addicted to OTC drugs like Tylenol PM? Several years ago I started taking them and made myself sick from taking so many. I was taking 12 a night in the end. Still couldn't sleep!! I gave it up 5 years ago but I never really though I had an addiction. The other night I was having trouble sleeping and I took 2. The first time in all of those. Should I try to always stay away from them or if I do it in moderation on rare occasion is that ok?
In answer to your first question, yes, you can really become "addicted" to just about anything. I knew a girl in rehab who was addicted to Listerine, not the alcohol in it, mind you, but Listerine itself. Put a bottle of vodka and a bottle of Listerine in front of her and she would take the mouthwash everytime. She had a lot of "issues" and this is how she dealt with it.

As far as whether you should stay away from them totally, only you can answer that question, but since you asked my opinion, I'd say, yes, stay away from them. If you are only having trouble sleeping on occassion there are plenty of other ways to deal with it, so why take the risk. You may be OK taking them in moderation, but then again, you may not. I would say it's not worth taking that chance. Take care.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

We Have To Abstain From All Mood Or Mind Altering Chemicals Basic Text Book. When You Are Ready To Sleep Your Body Will Know. Sometimes I Still Have Trouble Getting To Sleep So I Get Up To Read Or Watch A Movie Or Something Like That Helps Me Alot
Old 05-09-2005, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by kimmyf1965
If you're going to take a sleep aid, I'd take one without Tylenol unless I had a headache. And then only take the recommended dose. There are other things that can aid sleep as well. Try some turkey and a warm glass of milk. The tryptophan will make ya sleepy!

Doorknob
Old 05-10-2005, 08:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advise everyone!!

Listerine? Wow that a strange one!!
Old 05-10-2005, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Yes you can become addicted to anything, but a definate yes to perscription drugs, you were taking 12, 5 yrs ago, if I took 12 I would probably pass out and not get back up, if it was a problem before I would suggest trying to use a natural substance to heal your sleeping problem rather than go to over the counter drugs... Look into a nutritionist, maybe you're just lacking a vitamin in your body it could be something as simple as taking vitamin D to help your sleeping...right?? Look into it.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Well!!!

you'd have a fresh breath
Old 05-10-2005, 11:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fresh Breath

Mediciney fresh breath!!! Wasn't that the Scope commercial?
Old 05-10-2005, 11:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

To be honest I was going though a tough time with my son. My older son was diagnoised with Muscular Dystrophy when I started having the trouble sleeping. I honestly had a death wish at the time. I hoped and prayed I would never wake up. Then one day I really woke up. I realized that my son needed me and he needed be to be there for him until the end. I stopped taking them immediately!! I went days without sleeping and finally it all caught up to me. I was exhausted!! My days and nights stay so busy for the most part these days I'm asleep with in seconds of laying down. Occationally I get the insomnia but it's extremely rare. It's usually when I have a lot on my mind and can't concentrate on sleep. I have to sometimes tell myself that I'm putting it into Gods hands and let him handle things when things get too tough. I take each day with my son as a blessing.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Kim,

everyone in here should read this post when they get on their pity pot's.

I'll be keeping you in my thought's and prayer's

chris
Old 05-10-2005, 01:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Chris!! You are a truely great guy!!

Is that hot tub ready yet? LOL
Old 05-10-2005, 06:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

fillin it up as i type