Honesty is the best policy!

Old 05-01-2005, 07:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Honesty is the best policy!

Hello everyone, it's good to be back on the site!.
I am still sober since December 6, 2002 and it feels great.
One thing I have learned in my recovery through the help of AA and the 12 steps is to get honest with myself.
Thats what this program is all about, honesty. Without it you can't change.
I have been working these 12 steps as diligently and honest as I can since the beginning of my sobriety.
I was just recently called for a city job which called for an extensive background investigation.
My first instinct was to lie about certain things in my past, because, I thought they would eliminate me from being hired. I was forced to do a step 4 all over again and I realized that there are more positves than negatives in my past. I happen to know that can't hide anything in this day and age of computers and the internet anyway!.
The worst thing that happened in my background was a DWI several years ago, but, there were other alcohol related incidents. In fact, anything that happened derogatory in my life was alcohol related. The fact that I am still clean and sober is proof to myself that I am doing the right thing.
I brought forward anything and everything I could remember in my past. As a result, I passed the background investigation.
The most painful part of this process was that I had no choice but to do a searching and fearless moral inventory of myself. I had to go back in time and list all of my employments, residences, education,etc;
When all was done, I got to know myself a little better and more importantly, like myself a little better.
I'm learning to live my life sober and honest, thanks to the 12 steps of AA.
I feel a hell of a lot better as a result.
I now have a chance to start a new career with a city job that I have been waiting for a long time.
The more honest you are with yourself, the more honest you can be with other people and your life will get a lot better.
I guarantee it!
Old 05-01-2005, 07:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

When all was done, I got to know myself a little better and more importantly, like myself a little better.
When we learn to be honest with ourselves, the rest comes easy.

Congratulations on the new job, and more importantly on your sobriety.

Hugs
Ann