Play for words

Old 04-30-2005, 09:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Play for words

Meditation- Medication

I am I medicating when I should be meditating? Right now my medication is trying to control the addicts in my life and I have also gotten wasted for years on dope and alcohol but, I quit doing d/a. Would it be better if I just went ahead and meditated? I mean isn't obsessing just another form of meditating? Or is it more like prayer? I don't know what do ya'll think? One thing I am sure of is that both prayer and meditation has helped me out of wordls of cr@p when medication just puts me in more well you know....
Old 04-30-2005, 09:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

(((Splendr)))
I find that meditation brings me peace. The same peace I get when I'm deeply involved in spiritual growth or prayer.
For me, obsession is a negative. It is unwanted thoughts crowding out my serenity. It is something I try to rid myself of for my own well being.
Gloria Steinem has a great meditation at the end of her book, Revolution From Within. It includes progressive muscle relaxation, deep breathing techniques and visualization of a "safe place." It has honestly done wonders for me at times.
I hope you find your peaceful safe place....
Shalom!
Old 05-01-2005, 05:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I do know how to meditate but, I see that obsession is somewhat simular to chanting except I don't speak anything when I obsess but I do seem to repeat negativity over and over in my mind which seems like a negative form chanting...I have also heard or read that worry is a form of prayer...
Old 05-01-2005, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I've heard it said that prayer is when we speak to God, and meditation is when we listen to Him.

The chanting is just to clear our minds of other thoughts. Personally, I don't chant.

I can meditate in a quiet place in my home, or even better for me is walking the beach when there is just me, the sand and the sun, the sound of the waves and the smell of fresh air. That's where I feel very "connected".

Hugs
Ann
Old 05-01-2005, 07:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

When I meditate I do start off with a prayer and I do sometimes repeat a bible verse or a word such as love or peace and I ask for guidence on how can I apply it to my life. One meditation can influnece me for years... Listening to God speak to me is an activity that can leave me totaly speachless....

When I medicate I can rant or Chant for days on end