Everyone is in Denial!

Old 04-28-2005, 12:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Everyone is in Denial!

For five years, I hid a rappidly growing alcohol addiction from my family and close friends. I drank socially with everyone else but took it to a whole new level behind closed doors. I guess, my "night cap" just kept getting bigger and bigger. Anyway, I hit bottom last Friday and called my family to help me. My parents took me to their house to detox. Now, I've been sober for 6 days and everyone's acting like nothing happened! Especially my boyfriend, who is doctor. He's the one who told my parents not to take me to public place, because "it would be on my permanent record." ?? So, now when I ask Dr. boyfriend about my post-detox syndromes, like shaking, he says it's psychological! I guess it's partially my fault for hiding my vodka in his bathroom for years, but gees louise, he found the bottles! I know I'm an alcoholic and he's treating it like I had a bad hangover. I love this guy. I want to be with him. We're currently building a house together. He can't treat my addiction like a non-issue! Any suggestions?

I'd appreciate it.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Peachie,

I've been in my present relationship for 6 + years. On 4/25/05 I got hammered to the point that I don't recall to much of anything that went on that night. We walked around the following morning in total silence. I knew he was pissed but, heck.....he didn't say a word. Then he leaves the house for work and about 10 minutes into his drive he decides to call...I told my son to tell him I was already gone.

I actually was upset, because I thought about the moments when he told me that he was here for me to support me......now I'm wondering what the heck, where's the support, what's your definition of support significant other.

He ended up calling me at work around 9:30 am and gave me a mouthful, telling me that he can't see a future for us. I keep doing the exact same things I told him I would quit.

I had been sober for 3 months back in October, he doesn't realize how hard of a time that was for me. My condition has put a serious strain on our relationship and I do take blame for that.....I'm literally hurting because of it. He thinks that since he drinks but doesn't have to keep drinking, I should be the exact same way. He doesn't believe that this is as serious as I make it out to be.

I love my significant other too, but I"ve been praying for both of us asking for guidance and for his will in our lives......if that means we are together, than we shall be and if not, then he was there for me during a time when I need to become stronger because of what I loss.

Unless he's willing to admit that you have a problem and quit acting as if it's something other than that....you two are going to keep having difficult times.

Sometimes it doesn't seem far, for anyone...........

Good Luck to you!
Old 04-28-2005, 01:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks! Good luck to you too.