First Family Day @ Inpatient Hospital & scared

Old 04-20-2005, 09:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Family Day @ Inpatient Hospital & scared

Are family days @ drug rehab the way they used to be or are they gentler & more humane? I keep hearing horror stories about resentment & hate toward the family members. Can I get some advice?
Old 04-20-2005, 11:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I found my "family days" to be real emotional. Emotionally challenging but joyous and so helpful for the family as well as alkie/addict. Gave my husband a chance to tell me to my face how worried he was for ME when I was sober.. you know, put his two cents in and get understood. It was a relief for everyone to get the disease out in the open and then get the support needed to do something about it.

I just don't remember anyone being hateful and resentful.. most just overjoyed that the wife/daughter/son/mother etc was FINALLY helping themselves to being helped.
Meeting as a family is a necessary part of your recovery as well as the significant others involved and you'll undoubtedly discover stuff you never knew about, or realized. It might not feel like an easy and always joyful event but it does open up the dialogue about recovery between family members and is so supportive for the person in recovery.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I first went through residential treatment 20 yrs and things were real harsh back then...i understand from friends that work in the field that the approach to treatment these days is much gentle...far less confrontational and shame-based. I think that this is bound to extend to family members. I think there is more awareness these days of how hard addiction is on all the family and dont think that a treatment centre worth its salt will allow you to be harshly dealt with. It is natural you are scared but i think you will be just fine.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I would imagine it probably depends some on the program. Family day was very emotional for me in the times I've been in treatment. I think it just depends on the situation. Usually there is a councilor present who tries to steer things in a constructive direction. It is a good thing though, the stuff that comes up is going to come up anyway, at least with a family day visit you are in a controled atmosphere wherer if things start getting out of hand someone can step in and help cool things down. In my experience it is more often the A who gets attacked at family day visits because he is the one who has done most of the messed up stuff. Hope it goes well.