Enhancing Your Self-Esteem

Old 04-04-2005, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Enhancing Your Self-Esteem

"The path to inner personal freedom and true self-worth involves being willing to become aware of how you make pain for yourself. Ask yourself: "What kinds of things am I saying to myself about me?" This includes the thoughts in your head as well as what you say about yourself to others. Negative past experiences and teachings may have influenced you to feel unlovable and/or inadequate. These feelings can further influence you to act accordingly. Negative self-statements limit the options you give yourself. They imprison you. Watch out for words like should, must, ought and have to. Change these words to wish, prefer, want and choose. Change every 'can't' to a 'won't' or 'choose not to' (except for those that come from a reality-based disability). You can choose to reprogram the negative and inaccurate parts of your self-image."
~Dorothy Briggs
"Celebrate Yourself"
Old 04-04-2005, 03:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Good thought, Gabe. I am the first one to see the good in others, and offer genuine compliments, and often the last to see the good in myself. I'm working on that, and filling myself with positive thoughts to displace the negative ones, is a good start.

Hugs
Ann

Last edited by Ann; 04-05-2005 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Gabe,

That's a good reminder to not slip into those negative patterns, which is always a battle for me.

Love, Anna