Todays thought! - Let go of resentments

Old 03-18-2005, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Todays thought! - Let go of resentments

Today's thought is:

Let go of resentments

Resentments are sneaky, tricky little things. They can convince us they're justified. They can dry up our hearts. They can sabotage our happiness. They can sabotage love.

Most of us have been at the receiving end of an injustice at some time in our lives. Most of us know someone who's complained of an injustice we've done to him or her. Life can be a breeding ground for resentments, if we let it.

"Yes, but this time I really was wronged," we complain.

Maybe you were. But harboring a resentment isn't the solution. If it was, our resentment list would resemble the Los Angeles telephone directory. Deal with your feelings. Learn whatever lesson is at hand. Then let the feelings go.

Resentments are a coping behavior, a tool of someone settling for survival in life. They're a form or revenge. The problem is, no matter who we're resenting, the anger is ultimately directed against ourselves.

Take a moment. Search your heart. Have you tricked yourself into harboring a resentment? If you have, take another moment and let that resentment go.

God, grant me the serenity that acceptance brings.

You are reading from the book:

More Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie
Old 03-18-2005, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Oh, Time2;
This is such an important thread!!!
I struggle with letting go of resentment against one person only...my ex...
I KNOW I only poison my own life's blood!!!
I have worked very hard to try and let it go. I have accepted the past for what it is...the past.
It is when something NEW happens. Unfortunately, we are still a bit connected due to our son...who is a heroin addict...and he, the ex, has done some really sh!tty stuff to our son. See the ex is a gambler...and when my son was in recovery, (almost 8 months before relapse), the ex promised to pay for the methadone treatment.
He stopped paying without saying anything.
My son went into methadone withdrawal and relapsed.
The ex was also BORROWING MONEY from our son!!!
He approved of my son marrying an illegal alien for the money!
G*D, there is so much more, but, it doesn't really matter, does it? He's a creep. And he's a creep that I will forever be entangled with as a result of our son.
I have to let it go.
But, it is so hard.... everytime there is a new problem...
But, I keep trying to let it go....
You know, I TRY to understand that his addiction to gambling is the same as my son's addiction to heroin. But, I don't believe it. There is no physical withdrawal from gambling. I understand about the "high" one gets from the thrill of the possible win; the adrenaline "rush" he gets.
But, if he were to stop gambling, he would not have physical withdrawals like an addict or alcoholic... So, I have a very difficult time with seeing them both the same. They are not.
I'm sorry, I'm just rambling. But, boy, did you hit a nerve!!!
Thanks for bringing this up. I look forward to hearing others on this issue. Very important issue for our recovery, I think.
Shalom!
Old 03-18-2005, 02:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Resentments are the hardest part of my recovery.I have an ex-girlfriend who is the mother of my son.I have never seen him,not even a photo,dont know his name or nothing.And its not going to happen until I get it done through the courts.When we were together she cheated on me several times.( A paterity test will reveal if the kid is even mine!) She threw a bottle through my window,stalks me here at SR,has hacked into my verizon wireless acct,made attemps to make purchases on-line using my name and SS#.And much more.To not have resentments is tough.But,what good will they do for me? Or for my son? Instead,I try praying for her.I pray God will give her all in life she needs.Her actions are out of my control.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A little more on resentments

Welcome to Guy Finley's
Weekly Key Lesson!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Release Harmful Resentments
and Be Happier

Resentment is an unseen gravity, a deceptive force embraced by fools. For though it grants us what seems a safe course and temporary anchorage for our anger, by its guidance we always run aground and are left stranded in a dark harbor through whose cold waters swim the enemies of our soul.

-- Guy Finley

http://www.guyfinley.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For more insight into this Key Lesson, to explore other helpful ideas, or to send this special lesson to a friend, please use this link.

Chat live, THIS MORNING, with Guy Finley!

Join best-selling author Guy Finley during his new call-in radio show sponsored by HealthyLife.net, the leading all-positive Internet radio network.

Today, Tuesday, March 15th from 9am to 10am Pacific Time, and continuing on every third Tuesday of the month thereafter, you are invited to log onto www.healthylife.net for an hour of wisdom, growth, and insight.

Not only will you share the invaluable experience of hearing Guy speak in an open forum on a host of important inner life topics such as stress, anxiety, love, relationships, success, addiction, and depression, but you will also have the opportunity to call in during the show to speak with Guy live on air to ask him your personal questions about the Higher Life. In addition, if you're not able to tune in live, each show will be archived at www.healthylife.net so you can listen at your convenience.

Visit our website for more information and call-in numbers!

Guy Finley to Host
Free Live Chat on
Van Praagh Website

Join Guy Finley during a free live internet chat on noted psychic James Van Praagh's Web Site!

Tuesday, March 22nd
9 p.m. ET (6 p.m. PT)
www.vanpraagh.com

The topic of next Tuesday's chat will be, "The Secret of Being Unstoppable," and will cover illuminating and important ideas such as:

- The defining traits of an unstoppable human being

- How to turn adversity into a powerful source of strength

- How to expand your relationships in life, and your relationship with life!

Anyone with Internet access can navigate to the vanpraagh.com web address and join the chat. See you online!

More info . . .

See Guy Finley
on Wisdom TV

See "Wisdom's Way with Guy Finley" on Sundays at 10AM and 4PM ET. Get Wisdom TV on cable stations nationwide and on Dish Satellite Network channels 264 & 883. Ask your satellite or cable TV provider for details on getting WISDOM TV.

Hear Guy Finley
on Radio

WISDOM Radio

Hear "Letting Go" with Guy Finley on WISDOM RADIO Sundays at 5am, 11am, 5pm, and 11pm ET. Listen online at wisdomradio.com or Stream 132 on SIRIUS Satellite Radio.

Make Wisdom Your Friend!™

Healthylife.net

Listen to Guy's popular
show "Letting Go"
on Healthylife.net.
The program airs
Tuesday evenings from
7 to 8 p.m. (PT).

Having trouble viewing this message? You can read it online by going to this page:

http://www.guyfinley.com/Email/kl/050315_kle.php

Life of Learning Foundation
PO Box 10
Merlin OR, 97532
Old 03-18-2005, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

You're right, time2;
The resentments will do neither of us any good!
It will only poison US!
That's why it's important to let it go....

I remember you telling about your child...I pray this works out for the best...for you and the child...
Shalom!
Old 03-19-2005, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

i had so many resentments.....doing my step 4-5 has allowed my to let alot of them , i pray for those that i have a hard time letting go....I found though that I am my biggest resentment...thats the hardest of all to let go.....Forgiveness is so easy to say but harder to do. Accetance precedes forgiveness. I must remember that in active addiction i was not myself. But being there for so long i don't know me any other way. The gifts of recovery are introducing me to me.
I guess the easiset way for me is to remember that a resentment does not pay rent,...i do alot of evictions..lol Gratitude for the lessens that person has taught me is a better head space to be in. Also better for the heart. When my heart and mind are on the same page, to me that's growth. \\//peace
Old 03-19-2005, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My friend, this is so true. I have nursed a resentment towards two co-workers for a very long time and today I am willing to let it go. I had to first admit to myself and another what they were doing/did to me, that what they were/are doing to me hurt, that I didn't like them and what they did to me. Then amazingly day 6 of the New Wine course help break open the dam of tears of pain I had within. Then I began to see what I did in rebuttal, I accepted that I had a resentment realizing I only hurt myself and became willing to let it all go. The co-workers may not change - that's not my business but I am willing to change and let the resentment go. I'm being selfish in a good way - I'm letting the resentment go because I know that in return I will have that connectiveness with God again. There is nothing worse than being separated from God.

Thanks...great topic! God Bless.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

From what you say here and in some of your other posts I know that this is a difficult situation for you with your son. The paternity test needs to be done but I believe in your heart you already love and care for him. I hope things go well for you and your son even to the point of your getting custody of him if that is best. As you say resentments won’t do you or your son any good. I wish you well in putting them aside, as difficult as that is. You both are and have been in my prayers.

Marsha