We had to explain alcoholism to a 9 year old

Old 03-14-2005, 09:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
still moment by moment

We had to explain alcoholism to a 9 year old

My daughter misses her uncle very much - who went to jail for drunk driving finally after many chances. But, she sort of just lets it go - she knew about it but wasn't saying that much.

Well, then, we got into a discussion with our children about drinking. They see us and their Grandparents drink on occassion. We explained to them that some people are just alcoholics and that is the way it is. Those people can't help it, they just have to live with it. AND, that if my children choose to have a drink someday they are going to need to be aware of alcoholism since it runs in the family.

Well - my 9 year old went NUTS. She said - you mean it isn't his fault? He's in jail but it isn't his fault that he's an alcoholic. She really became emotional and of course she is only 9.

I tried and tried to explain to her why it was still his fault.

Finally - this analogy really worked. Our dear friend has cancer. And so I asked my daughter - what would you think if this friend didn't get treatment and she died - it would be her fault right? My friend wouldn't DREAM of skipping her chemo because it was a hassle would she? Of course not.

My brother however, knew he was an alcholic and yet didn't get the proper treatment for it. Hmmm. So that part is his fault.

That story cleared her head up.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Doug

Ahhh yes, never under-estimate the mind of a child.

I'm glad she got her little feet back on the ground.