What do we all do for fun?

Old 01-22-2005, 04:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I noticed in recovery i have less spare time.But,thats a good thing for me.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Spare time? What's that?

BubbaBob
Old 01-22-2005, 08:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BubbaBob
Spare time? What's that?

BubbaBob
After reading everything you have going on Bob,I am surprised you even have time to sleep.Or is that the next question? "Sleep? Whats that?"
Old 01-22-2005, 10:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
sober in KY

Good thread. It looks like there are a lot of people into cars.

I enjoy working on my home, which I bought a little over 2 years ago. I've completely repainted and decorated it, installed new floors in the kitchen and bathroom and new appliances, re-stained my porch and deck, added, fixed and repaired lots of other things. It's a lot of work, but very rewarding.

In the summer I work outside a lot. I live alone so I have to do all the mowing, gardening and other general upkeep myself.

I spend a lot of time with my dog - grooming, walking, playing, teaching her things. I also like to snuggle up with her and my two cats and a good book.

I've converted my basement into my art studio. I like to buy old furniture and fix it up and paint it. In the summer I often go to antique and resale shops, since there are a lot of them around here.

Another crafty thing I do is make fancy dog collars that I sell at a couple of local stores.

I got a really nice bike last year, and I live on a private dirt road, so I like to ride out here where there isn't traffic and it's peaceful.

I also like just wandering around the woods, climbing trees and just looking around at nature. I sometimes take one of my cameras and work on either digital or SLR photography.

I get more depressed in the winter, when I can't go outside. I spend more time online, like now, mostly researching things.

I'm somewhat into knives. I belong to a knife forum where I've met a lot of people whom I've gotten to know pretty well. I'm one of the very few girls on there, but I'm used to that anyway since I work with all guys too (sharpening knives.)

When I think about it, there are a lot of things I like to do, but I go through phases where I will just not want to do anything. Sometimes weeks, sometimes months. Of course, when I was drinking a lot, I'd often be too tired or uninterested in things. I used to smoke a lot of pot and that actually made me more interested in things and I'd get a lot done. I haven't smoked in quite a while though, mostly because I can't afford it, but also because I don't want to turn from alcohol to pot and end up overdoing that too.

~ashes
Old 01-22-2005, 05:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I guess cars, trucks and bikes must be big in America with all the open roads? Gotta love American muscle too. Ashes, I love that you are into knives...so many unusual things to do.

Time2surrender, thanks for link. Not seen that one. Those Japanese guys are crazy.

I am loving reading everyones responses. Thank-you all.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Evanna,too bad you cant come into The mens room and see our "Dream machines and scrap heaps" thread.Lotta cool stuff there.This thread is really doing well.This is one of my Dream Machines.Hopefully some day it will become a reality.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Oh my, modern technology and old fashioned muscle. That really is sex on wheels.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

things to do sober

I got a dobro guitar,and several other thing I enjoy are going thru used book stores,cooking on my cooker outside when weather permits.
Several times a year,some of us AA guys go camping and have weekend meetings and eat like a pig.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:54 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bballdad
I got a dobro guitar,and several other thing I enjoy are going thru used book stores,cooking on my cooker outside when weather permits.
Several times a year,some of us AA guys go camping and have weekend meetings and eat like a pig.
Got a dobro huh? Now I am hearing "Curtis Lowe" by Skynard in my head.I can relate to the camping thing.I live in The Pacific Northwest and we have a lotta NA/AA campouts around here.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

well,I `m not that good yet.I pratice a lot and need a good "dobro sponser" lol
it`s a lot of fun trying.I never thought I could play anything,but finally one day I said,screw it I`m going to try.It`s great fun.I Let uncertainy and fear stop me for years.
recovery is good
Old 01-23-2005, 05:07 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

I love this thread!!!

Like Rich & Don and many others so many hours went into dirnking, thinking of drinking, planning drinking etc.

Now I am pretty into the gym (aerobics, tae-bo, etc I love it), I love eating out and going out for tea and something nice on a sunday afternoon (going to do that now in fact) I am more into my gardening now which I love - always too hungover before. I love boardgames, sitting in front of the fire with my husband quietly reading the paper or a good book. I love going horseriding in the beautiful Irish countryside (again always used to be put off becuase of the hangover) I love my books and browsing second hand bookshops if I am off in the morning. I love cooking (used to lose interest half way through) and going to the movies - popcorn and coke is still such a treat for me!!! bowling with friends and then going for a coffee and a chat afterwards.
Now I love just being alive - I am sitting here and the sky is blue after many days of rain, and it's so good to be alive. And alert. And at peace. Wonderful. I love being sober. I love what AA has given me.
Love this thread!
CAthy31
xxx
Old 01-23-2005, 05:11 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Cathy,I have never been to Ireland.Been to England and most of Western Europe.One of these days I would like to see Ireland and Scottland.I love this thread too.This is like my 5th post in here.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:21 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Time2Surrender, I've really enjoyed your posts! Be sure to let me know when you make a trip here - we'd love to show you around! We can even show you into some of the more character filled pubs - alot of people would go into a pub during the day for a coffee and as you can't smoke ANYWHERE but outside in Ireland, it's actually very pleasant. But I don't do it that often!!!
Cathy31
x
Old 01-23-2005, 12:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

When I arrived at AA every other word I spoke was F"£$ and I would fight with people who just looked at me wrong. I'd never had a bank account, drivers license or long term relationship or more than about £80 at one time.

Over the years sober, I've backpacked through Europe, done the west coast USA more than once, hired your flashest cars and had exciting long term relationships. What a difference.

I'm getting older now. This weekend I attended a 5 hour seminar on Freud and Jung just out of interest. I found it interesting? I guess I am finding the real me. I'm booked on and booking courses in criminology, mythology just for curiosity.

I like cooking though I can never remember how I cooked something. I read a lot of popular psychology and a little formal stuff too.

Generally, I have to admit that I do not attend to the idea of spare time fun and appreciate this thread as a generation of ideas and a reminder.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:14 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cathy31
Time2Surrender, I've really enjoyed your posts! Be sure to let me know when you make a trip here - we'd love to show you around! We can even show you into some of the more character filled pubs - alot of people would go into a pub during the day for a coffee and as you can't smoke ANYWHERE but outside in Ireland, it's actually very pleasant. But I don't do it that often!!!
Cathy31
x
Thanx Cathy,and same to you if you ever make it out to the West-coast in the USA.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:13 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I love gardening, collecting plants...the weirder the better, trying different cuisines, studing different cultures, reading...just finished Blindness by Jose Saramago...AWSOME! <- You gotta love the dancin' bunny.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:54 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I love to read and watch movies curled up with a blanket and my cat
I also started scrapbooking, which is soooo addicting. I love reminiscing about the old days (before drinking) and being creative
I do some cross-stitch and my grandma is going to teach me how to quilt
Writing is such a release for me and I'm starting a journal
Old 01-25-2005, 02:02 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Free Spirit

Cathy,

I LOVe 2nd hand bookstores and have suddenly re-developed a passion for cooking - am looking forward to many "candle-light suppers" when I get some new friends ...lol..
am also in Ireland
Old 01-25-2005, 03:55 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Doug

For fun?

I come here.

What else is there?

Old 01-25-2005, 04:11 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
anyone who ever had a dream

well

for fun? hmm. I'm still new to this whole recovery thing. But I'll tell ya what-- I adore writing poetry. I like reading it, but I adore writing it. I also like singing, and wasting time on the computer (except for this site ... this is more educational and rewarding than most of the things i do on the puter). I like talking to my few close friends on the phone. Lately, I've been watching BUNCHES of movies!!!! I'm a huge foreign film fan. I recommend "Maria Full of Grace" and "City of God" to everyone!!!!