Elder's Meditation Jan. 14

Old 01-14-2005, 02:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doug

Elder's Meditation Jan. 14

"It is a native tradition to sit in a circle and talk-to share what is in your heart."
--John Peters (Slow Turtle), WAMPANOAG

The talking circle is also a listening circle. The talking circle allows one person to talk at a time for as long as they need to talk. So much can be gained by listening. Is it a coincidence that the Creator gave us one mouth and two ears? The power of the circle allows the heart to be shared with each other. What we share with each other also heals each other. When we talk about our pain in the circle, it is distributed to the circle, and we are free of the pain. The talking circle works because when the people form a circle, the Great Mystery is in the center.

My Creator, give me the courage to share, and the courage to listen.

Old 01-14-2005, 03:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My Creator, give me the courage to share, and the courage to listen.
The word "courage" caught my eye here, because I realize that until recovery I never had the courage to talk openly about my feelings, to honestly share what was happening with me.

And it took courage for me to learn to listen, really listen. I was afraid, sometimes, of what I might hear. When I began listening attentively, I began to learn. This taught me to open my mind and open my heart and was very freeing to me.

Hugs
Ann
Old 01-14-2005, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have something to share...

this happens tp be my cat Kutip and he is very sick. I don't have the money to take him to the vet and I feel so bad for him. We have another cat also but she is doing much better cause she has medicine we got from the adoption place where we got her from. I feel guilty and wish my husband had not bought the other cat which in turn got kutip sick. He is beginning not to eat now and I feel even worse now. Can someone say a prayer for my cat. Probably sounds silly but I fell so hopeless. I feel better now thanks for listening.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST FOR TODAY

Reading what Ann had to say about courage was nice to see. And Doug, I like your signature also. But what I am getting to is this, I read this about courage this morning from Hazelden's "Today's Gift" and thought I would pass it on.

Today's thought is:

Let us review what others have written about courage and patience:

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.
--Dorothy Bernard

All things come to him who waits -- provided he knows what he is waiting for.
--Woodrow Wilson

Courage is more than standing for a firm conviction. It includes the risk of questioning that conviction.
--Julian Weber Gordon

How poor are they who have not patience! What wound did ever heal but by degrees?
--William Shakespeare

It takes time to succeed because success is merely the natural reward for taking time to do anything well.
--Joseph Ross

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
--Winston Churchill

TODAY I will ask myself, In what areas do I need more courage and patience? I will pick one thought that most applies to me, and I will work on improving that part of my character.

God Bless,

Harry