Does any one know of any recovery movies?

Old 05-08-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

In Pay it Forward, Helen Hunt is an alcoholic...the entire movie doesn't revolve around it, but it is pretty inspirational in general...Looking at it from an alcoholic perspective, I think it would be motivational to see how far she comes as well.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
King of Fools

Clean & Sober with Michael Keaton is a great one... Less Than Zero starring Robert Downey Jr. is one of my favorites as well
Old 05-23-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

'Midnight Express'--an oldie to be sure--is pretty brilliant. The star-Brad Davis-was an IV druggie who died of AIDS, I believe.

'Sid and Nancy'--an oldie as well--made some good points.

'The Doors' did also.

And all of these are hugely entertaining, if you can find them.

freerad
Old 05-23-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

Originally Posted by Time2Surrender View Post
I was looking for suggestions on recovery movies.Or movies about alcoholism and addiction.Not all these movies have happy endings.Any more suggestions would be appreciated.Thank you.
  • My name is Bill W.
  • The lost weekend
  • Drunks
  • Gia
  • When a man loves a woman
  • Barfly
  • The Rose
  • The boost
  • Leaving Las Vegas
  • Clean and Sober
  • 28 days
  • Of wine and roses
The only one I can think of is " Basketball diaries" with Leanardo Dicapprio and Mark Wahlburg.

I watched this movie at 2 AM one night , cracked out on speed pills and unable to sleep. That movie really freaked me the hell out.... but in the end , it's good and sad all at the same time.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Everything Must Go, really liked it.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Someone already listed the ones I would have, but "Country Strong" is another good one.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Self-Recovered

Originally Posted by Time2Surrender View Post
No,I wouldnt say its a recovery movie.More of an addiction movie.I dont even remember how it ends.
It documents Renton's detoxing a couple of times - and I believe when he goes to London to work he is sober (sorry been a while since I seen it)

I believe at the end when he takes the money and leaves with a promise to live the life that he wants without drugs.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:54 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I can actually only think of Scarface. Not that much about addiction it's just an element in it. Oh, and Lord of War has elements of it too. Aswell as 34 Blocks I think it's called.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:32 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

At the time of its release Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? was considered very controversial and progressive for a big Hollywood production because of its brassiness and vulgar language. In the film an associate professor of history has turned to alcohol to deal with his mean and vituperative wife. Early on an acquainted couple are invited over for drinks, and over the course of the evening, the polished veneer of the hosts’ tarnishes grotesquely. The repartees of the history professor’s consummately sophisticate wife degenerate into increasingly violent verbal abuse of both her husband and her guests, leading to the physical and emotion crumbling of the professor’s apathetic façade. Soon the guests begin mirroring their hosts in mutual antagonism, giving voice to buried resentments and alcohol-fueled revelations. Though the films age has made it seem a bit preachy, its construction and acting is more than enough for it to retain its greatness. It feels like honest portrayal of alcoholism’s consequences.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:33 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Some others listed here: Top 10 Films About Alcoholics
Old 06-18-2012, 02:36 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf - Getting Angry, Baby? - YouTube
Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Books and movies about addiction and recovery

I would recommend Candy, I read the book but I believe there is a movie out also.
It deals with the addictions but also about two people attempting on recovery.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
MK87

"Choke" with Sam Rockwell. It's about sex addicts, but its truly about recovery. He spend the whole meeting being told to do his 4th step so he can stop suffering. Very good movie, and very funny.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

"The Answer Man" with Jeff Daniels and Lou Taylor Pucci (et al). Pucci plays an alcoholic bookstore owner who has a classic part in the movie where he attends an A.A. meeting. Made me LOL! The film, as whole, is a sort of a parody-look at some of the self-righteous "gurus" that we are often inundated with today.

"Flight" with Denzel Washington -- very sobering and scary look at the effects of addiction. Denzel plays the character almost flawlessly. Good film about humility, insanity, and recovery.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I mentioned this in another thread. I been aware that I need to quit drinking since mid-November 2012.

Last month sometime I was drinking some beer late at night and decided to watch tv. For some reason I landed on a old movie channel. The name of the movie was "A Tree grows in Brooklyn". For whatever reason I just fell into watching it. Long story short its about alcoholism. Made in 1945. Check it out.

Weird how I came across that movie that night. The next day I quit again. Of course it only lasted 5 days. :-(
Old 03-03-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

"Redemption Road". It doesn't appear to be about recovery from the title or description on netflix but it is. Great movie!!
Old 03-03-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

"Rush" with Jennifer Jason Leigh is about two undercover cops getting hooked on drugs, not sure if they recover. IIRC Eric Clapton did a song for the movie soundtrack.

Then there is that movie with Meg Ryan as an alcoholic, her DOC is expensive vodka (so that no one could smell it). It may be a Lifetime movie.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Revolver by Guy Ritchie is about recovery. Not blatantly obvious but you can certainly find it once you look.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

It's so frustrating, I want to see a lot of these but I can only find 2 on Netflix... Factotum and Less Than Zero. I'm going to watch the latter now.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Bottled up (pills and offbeat film about mother and daughter) 2013

Thanks For Sharing (humor and drama re: sex addiction)2012
with:Mark Ruffalo, Tim Robbins, Gwyneth Paltrow, Josh Gad.

Both films were not the [typical] recovery based film and were both funny and sad.
"Thank For Sharing: has a a lot of meeting stuff in it...but it works.

Last edited by cougarcat; 08-23-2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: addition