Early Riser Check-in Thread Part 19

Old 12-16-2022, 04:38 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Alarm set for 5, up at 5:20, coffee by 5:35
Old 12-16-2022, 05:24 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
No coffee for me yet, fasting until my surgery is over this morning. I can't wait to get back home for food and iced coffee!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 12-16-2022, 05:31 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Up at 6 but after a night in two parts...
I was up at 1:30 and ate 2 peanut butter toasts + a glass of milk to try to knock me out (it worked!)
I will surely have a nap like the kitty later today, perfect to meditate on Purps weekly mantra

Good luck with your surgery Astro

Have a good day Earlies! ☼

Old 12-16-2022, 07:45 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post

Thank you, CK! My hero!
Astro, Here is the "Late Sunrise Over The Lake" picture from my balcony.
" Rise & Shine" on this Windy Wedmesday!
Gorgeous, Chloe!

Hope your surgery goes well today, Astro.

and hugs, all.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:48 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lmvalentine View Post
Up early enough at 6:00 AM something and am enjoying my coffee and double chocolate muffin.

SG I sympathize with the Xmas work schedule. I still to this day refuse mailing cards out. I grew to dread looking at them. The red and green envelopes were hard to read quickly. These days machines read mail but the endless feeding and loaded is mind numbing I’m sure. It’s a toss up if your mind goes out before your body. Both of mine did.

I have the 11:00 meeting and Gdaughter after. I don’t know what we’ll do today but we both need a change of scenery.

A good Thursday to everyone.
Cards are okay by me but it is those “brag and gag” letters that often accompany them that get to me.
Old 12-17-2022, 01:17 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I hope the surgery went well Astro!

Leigh, we have one person whom went to high school with my wife but haven't been friends with since and she sends out the yearly Christmas letter to us. It details every trip, sports activity her kids are involved with, and pet updates. It is a yearly ritual to read this out loud at the dinner table and have a laugh. The only information she doesn't include is the fact that she is on her third husband since I have known her. Apparently, that is not Christmas letter worthy!

Gator, I think I still have a set of 1940's era Lionel metal trains in my basement somewhere. They used to get set up around the tree when I was very little. I think the steam locomotive actually steamed somehow, but I might be making that up. I come from a long line of railroad workers,(Pennsy, Penn Central, Jersey Central, Southern Pacific) and always had a fascination with trains. I am the first in many generations to have never worked in a locomotive shop.

Looks as though we are getting a big storm next Friday. They are not sure if it will be rain or snow yet. The last thing I need is a blizzard two days before Christmas, lol!

Off to the Cafe for a pre work cup or two.

Best wishes all!
Old 12-17-2022, 03:24 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post

Leigh, we have one person whom went to high school with my wife but haven't been friends with since and she sends out the yearly Christmas letter to us. It details every trip, sports activity her kids are involved with, and pet updates. It is a yearly ritual to read this out loud at the dinner table and have a laugh. The only information she doesn't include is the fact that she is on her third husband since I have known her. Apparently, that is not Christmas letter worthy!

Gator, I think I still have a set of 1940's era Lionel metal trains in my basement somewhere. They used to get set up around the tree when I was very little. I think the steam locomotive actually steamed somehow, but I might be making that up. I come from a long line of railroad workers,(Pennsy, Penn Central, Jersey Central, Southern Pacific) and always had a fascination with trains. I am the first in many generations to have never worked in a locomotive shop.

Looks as though we are getting a big storm next Friday. They are not sure if it will be rain or snow yet. The last thing I need is a blizzard two days before Christmas, lol!

Off to the Cafe for a pre work cup or two.

Best wishes all!
That is so cool to have worked in a locomotive shop. I’m been in model railroading since 12 years old.
Old 12-17-2022, 03:25 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Up and heading for a cup of coffee.
Old 12-17-2022, 03:29 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

"Rise & Shine" it is a snow-day

cold front came in...need to defrost

Old 12-17-2022, 04:52 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

5:51 and checking in
Old 12-17-2022, 05:10 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Up at 5
We received 30 cm (12'') of snow last night.
I'll go dig up my car after my coffee

Have a good day friends!
Old 12-17-2022, 05:14 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

. . . .

Leigh, we have one person whom went to high school with my wife but haven't been friends with since and she sends out the yearly Christmas letter to us. It details every trip, sports activity her kids are involved with, and pet updates. It is a yearly ritual to read this out loud at the dinner table and have a laugh. The only information she doesn't include is the fact that she is on her third husband since I have known her. Apparently, that is not Christmas letter worthy! . . .

Gator, I think I still have a set of 1940's era Lionel metal trains in my basement somewhere. They used to get set up around the tree when I was very little. I think the steam locomotive actually steamed somehow, but I might be making that up. I come from a long line of railroad workers,(Pennsy, Penn Central, Jersey Central, Southern Pacific) and always had a fascination with trains. I am the first in many generations to have never worked in a locomotive shop. . . .

Best wishes all!

Yeah, stargazer, I hear you; we have a married couple like that. They are great people with one child in whom their life revolves; their child is blessed to have such loving and supportive parents but their holiday letter is ‘over the top’ on steroids; it goes on for pages and pages and includes quotes from their child and photos in the entirety of the margins. Reading the letter is a Holiday Experience!
Old 12-17-2022, 07:19 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Early riser and late poster.

That is a lot of snow CK! Shoveling will be a workout so take breaks.

SG that is a cool childhood Xmas memory. That train set is probably worth a fortune now. My father retired from the Union Pacific. He was raised in Pennsylvania coal mining country during the depression and escaped through railroad work.

Nothing exciting on my itinerary today.

Have a good Saturday everyone.
Old 12-17-2022, 07:43 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!

Gator, I think I still have a set of 1940's era Lionel metal trains in my basement somewhere. They used to get set up around the tree when I was very little. I think the steam locomotive actually steamed somehow, but I might be making that up.
Thank you all for wishing me well, my hernia surgery went perfectly and I'm actually looking forward to the recovery time away from my secondary jobs. I can be off my feet and relaxing, watching movies or working on light hobbies.

Oh, Lionel trains, don't get me started! Some of my best Christmas memories as a child were boxes and boxes of Lionel O gauge & American Flyer S gauge trains that my brothers and I would set up around the tree. We even had a military car that launched a rocket! I have a newer Lionel that I still set up on occasion to entertain the grandkids. And no, you are not making up the steam locomotive, there are models that you can put smoke fluid into, they have a burner that produces steam.

OK, three cups of coffee in and I had this wild idea to watch the Lord Of The Rings movies while I lay on the couch today! Have a great weekend.
Old 12-17-2022, 07:53 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

My early Christmas gift to you, CK...

Virtual helping thought!

Or if you prefer... Some snowball fun!
Old 12-17-2022, 07:55 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Purps, what happened to the Winter Cabin video?
Old 12-17-2022, 03:31 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I didn't intend to get up so early but woke up at 5am for no reason and have been up ever since. Waiting (and waiting and waiting...) for ck to get her butt over here so we can go to Target to look for frames for my new glasses. . I wish she'd get here...
Old 12-17-2022, 04:11 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Purps, what happened to the Winter Cabin video?

Hmmmm….it disappeared!

I’ll have to look for another one….
Old 12-17-2022, 06:02 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

I’m thinking the video was running live when I shared it….maybe that’s why?

Here’s another one….I love how they transition from day to night

Old 12-17-2022, 11:29 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Astro, rest easy from the hernia surgery. I had that done three years ago. Mine ended up far larger than expected once I was opened up.

CK, I think you will be getting another thump of snow later this week. We are on the line down here as to rain or a blizzard!

Strolling to the cafe for a cup or two before work.

Best wishes all!