Are there stages in recovery

Old 10-11-2020, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are there stages in recovery

I guess the decision to quit is the first thing. Then withdrawal. Then how does it go?

it seems that once you’re feeling better from withdrawal, it’s kind of another phase. you’re determined, and energetic, and optimistic. Is that when you make plans to deal with cravings and triggers?

Then some harder times come into play as you Work to stay sober and explore life and emotions unmedicated.

Perhaps harder still is a year out when you think you’ve pretty much got it

just wondered what you think and perhaps some tips along the way?

Thanks!

Old 10-11-2020, 03:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matrac View Post
I guess the decision to quit is the first thing. Then withdrawal. Then how does it go?

it seems that once you’re feeling better from withdrawal, it’s kind of another phase. you’re determined, and energetic, and optimistic. Is that when you make plans to deal with cravings and triggers?

Then some harder times come into play as you Work to stay sober and explore life and emotions unmedicated.

Perhaps harder still is a year out when you think you’ve pretty much got it

just wondered what you think and perhaps some tips along the way?

Thanks!
Hi,

No - the first thing is to stop drinking. That's my position.
Once you do that - unless you're fond of repeating the same disaster again and again (get sober, relapse, get sober, relapse, get sober, relapse...10, 20, 30, 50, 60, 100 times...) - you have to move into a new mental space. And stay there.

Not drinking is one thing. That's the 1st half of the equation.
The 2nd half is to become a non-drinker. These are two totally different things.

When you can look yourself in the face and say "I don't drink." you'll be on to something.

Not - "I quit drinking."
Not - I don't drink anymore."
Not - "I'm sober now."
Not - "I'm in recovery now."

I DO NOT DRINK. PERIOD.

That's it. End of story. Next?

Old 10-11-2020, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I noticed stages. That one-year thing happened to me but luckily I was still heavily plugged into this website and realized it was a typical addict response and I wasn't really cured of abusing substances. So that would be my best tip: stay plugged into whatever support system you are using. Even almost 8 years out I check in here.

Mt stages:
first 6 months...depression, anxiety, avoiding cravings, hanging in there

at 6 months I finally accepted my drinking days were behind me, the cravings were gone and my brain continued to heal and I started in on the process of rebuilding myself.

1 year. I got relief from PAWS but my mind spun even faster trying to put myself back together. I had been looking at everything wrong, all my files were corrupted and I had to start from scratch.

2 years sober. I was doing pretty good but I got some information that sent me crashing again. I had been using denial to deal with past trauma. That wasn't going to work anymore. I had to make sure my mind stayed in the new pathways I had built and not slip into the old.

3 years. Finished working my way through year two stuff. Kept challenging maladaptive behaviors. So happy to be where I am.

4 years. Keep doing what I was doing

5 years. The new way I deliberately built is second nature.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Terence Gorksi talks of 6 stages of recovery

http://ehcounseling.com/materials/dmr_gorski.pdf
Old 10-11-2020, 08:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is more a milestone than a phase. At some point maybe 18-24 months into sobriety, I realized that I no longer had any self-judgement about being alcoholic. I simply was (and remain until I draw my last breath) an alcoholic, and to continue to enjoy the life that much to my surprise I loved, I only had to avoid one drink... the first.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I don't split hairs. This is good but this is better. Everybody has their own opinion about recovery. Find what works for YOU!
Recovery is a fluid thing, it starts with no more drinking and a path to alcohol freedom

I enjoy a peace of mind that comes with daily wellness practices suited particular to my needs .
Old 11-17-2020, 09:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is a LOT to look at on the whole with what it takes to truly "recover".
Here is something that pretty much made me quit chewing after 35 years.

"I will not drink today."

PERIOD end of story. You can do anything for a day. Don't think about 3 months, 1 year mark, relapse, what do I do at the BBQ?

Wake tomorrow and don't drink for JUST that day.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Stages

[QUOTE=Dee74;7524458]Terence Gorksi talks of 6 stages of recovery/QUOTE]

I Like Gorski's model and it's been around for a long time. He was a pioneer in relapse prevention and had a special place in his heart for addicts. Another set of stages or phases for recovery are:
1. Precontemplation-A person doesn't consider their behavior to be an issue.
2. Contemplation-Person realizes they have a problem. May want to change but have committed to the change.
3. Preparation-Person is committed and ready to take action.
4. Action-A person starts seeing a change in their behavior.
5. Maintenance and Relapse-In maintenance, you start to get used to a substance-free lifestyle. BUT there is a possibility of relapse, and that can happen to someone new in recovery or the old-timer who has many years. Relapse doesn't mean you failed. I hear people say relapse is a part of recovery. Maybe, but it doesn't have to be!
6. Termination-Nope, that doesn't mean you get to do that "controlled drinking or using again". It means you are no longer feeling threatened by your drug of choice. You are starting to feel confident and comfortable in living without substances. BUT you have to stay diligent in keeping your sobriety first and foremost in you life. As is said in the big book, there are only 3 ways to go if you relapse and don't come back: Jails, Institutions, or Death.
I hope this helps and If you've made it through another day sober, CONGRATULATIONS!