Summer within

Old 12-01-2004, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doug

Summer within

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
--Albert Camus

Sometimes we suddenly see or sense opposite emotions within ourselves. The cold of winter presses in on us, and we may feel tested by its bite. Yet, when we think we cannot bear it a moment longer, we find a counterforce within, an inner reassurance that comes like a summer breeze and says we can do what we must. Perhaps it comes in a time of dark despair, and we realize that at least we've made it this far. We are pretty tough. In our deepest sadness about the loss of a love, we may find a more meaningful contact with our Higher Power.

The opposites in our lives may tempt us to fight them. One side may be very clear and obvious while the other side is hidden. When we are open, these extremes are spiritual teachers for us. As we think about life and our feelings today, what opposites do we find?

Today, I will remember that I have an invincible summer at the deepest part of winter in my life.

Old 12-01-2004, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Today, I will remember that I have an invincible summer at the deepest part of winter in my life.
I like this one, Doug. What opposites do I find? Fear, countered by courage and faith; despair countered by hope; sadness countered by acceptance and maybe some days distrust countered by confidence in myself.

I sometimes forget the counter tools I have, that there IS an invincible summer in there somewhere.

Thanks for the reminder.

Hugs
Ann
Old 12-01-2004, 05:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love that quote by Camus. I'll add this one...

"When one has faith that the spring thaw will arrive, the winter winds seem to
lose some of their punch." - Robert L. Veninga

I've been reading a lot lately about how you should honor the opposite of what you love. If you love light, you should honor the darkness.
If you love sun, you should honor the rain.
It's all a part of accepting the natural cycle of things.
I'm a big winter hater by nature, but I'm trying to see the beauty in it this time around.
There is that invincible summer in me that Camus spoke of, and remembering that is a very good thing.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Thanks Doug